How would you replace this kitchen tap mixer? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How would you replace this kitchen tap mixer? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

I need to replace my kitchen tap and these are the existing pipes - any suggestions?

I was going to cut just above the connection with a pipe slice, install the new tap with flexi pipes and then connect it up with compression fittings/PTFE tape.

Does that sound sensible?!

Thanks.

Attachments

• kitchen tap pipes.jpg
    kitchen tap pipes.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 44
Cut below, isolation valves, rad tails into isolation valves. Connect flexis onto flat face of radiator tails.
Thanks for getting back so quickly Simon, sorry but for the layman, what is the difference between the rad tail and isolation valve? Is it just this in the picture that I need? Thanks

Attachments

• E9A777C2-7FC9-46F2-8F2C-51022DA3098B.jpeg
    E9A777C2-7FC9-46F2-8F2C-51022DA3098B.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 31
No, just a straight forward 15mm compression isolation valve. Onto the cut ends of the pipe. Then into the opposite just a radiator tail. Always have them kicking about in the van.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/isolating-valve-15mm-10-pack/32802

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/tesla...g-flexible-tap-connectors-15mm-x-2-pack/2665r

This is the tail for the isolation valve. Gives you a flat edge to connect the tap connector on. If you put the tap connector straight onto the valve then theres a sharp edge to cut into rubber washer on flexi and potential for a leak.

Sorry. Why are we using radiator tails (which may not be suitable for drinking water) on a tap? I know it's a pedantic point, but I'm suspecting a smartphone typing error here!

Sorry. Why are we using radiator tails (which may not be suitable for drinking water) on a tap? I know it's a pedantic point, but I'm suspecting a smartphone typing error here!

Nope no error, use rad tails all the time to ensure the rubber washer remains intact.

You will however note the link is for purpose made adaptors.

I,like Simon use rad tails too. I’m presuming that like me he uses unused ones only - how would that not be suitable for drinking water (I’m talking about the real world here...)
Real world answer? It wouldn't. I just wondered why he started talking about rad tails when the OP hadn't even told us what type of connection his proposed flexis will have.

Pointless post but a pet-peve of mine is those flexi connectors with built in valves, separate valve and flexi is the way to do it.

Just as a side note, if your system is gravity fed then you should be careful with tap spec.
If it says 0.5bar minimum then its not designed for your system (even if you have 0.5bar).
Find a tap with 0.1bar min

Thanks for all the advice chaps, much appreciated. I’ve connected as per below - I left the rad tails out but get the idea of it for a more secure connection. Hopefully the below isn’t too shabby by your standards!

Attachments

• 6B9D58A0-867C-4BDC-9C82-C20219394422.jpeg
    6B9D58A0-867C-4BDC-9C82-C20219394422.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 35
If it’s leak free and the op is happy that’s all what matters

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Hi, I am replacing a kitchen tap and have run...
Replies
Views
Adam tl
A
  • Question
Update: Perrin and Rowe have supplied a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just for future reference, a grub screw doing...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thank you. Good to know that there are options...
Replies
Views
Back