How's Things On The Work Front? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss How's Things On The Work Front? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
As the title asks, how's everybody finding it at the moment?

I normally find February a quiet month, which I don't mind after the hustle and bustle of the winter. But I must admit in 6 years of being self employed this is the busiest start to the year I have seen. It's all bathrooms, wet rooms, en-suites, shower rooms, extra downstairs wc's and rad moves.

It seems that joe public is now looking at staying put and getting all those jobs done that they've put off for years rather than moving.

Hey Simon :)

I often think installation is a stressfull relam! As a service/repair guy I have a database of previous customers that are in some way 'guaranteed income' for future work! I'd certainly not like to have to be continually chasing work! *sigh*

I am fortunate witrhout a doubt! and have enough :)

I often think installation is a stressfull relam! As a service/repair guy I have a database of previous customers that are in some way 'guaranteed income' for future work! I'd certainly not like to have to be continually chasing work! *sigh*

Enough is always good :) I'm plumbing from 7.30 til 4.30 then trying to keep on top of services and breakdowns after and on a saturday. If it keeps up I might after consider taking someone on.

nice position to be in...,on the work front i'm not bad..

Quiet autumn, December and January (just little work, not no work).

Two weeks ago started to be really busy. Friday morning two weeks ago, one small job up for the following week (last week). Friday evening I was booked up till Thursday. Monday, five small jobs and visits, Tuesday four jobs and visits, etc until Friday evening when I felt I'd done a thorough week.

4 day job this week and next week quite full. In negotiation for a £8-10k job starting in 2-3 weeks or so. Just enough space to have my van serviced and MoT'd soon, slotting in between all the other stuff.

Coming up for year end, so with peaceful Oct-Jan and less busy summer than other years I'm quite chuffed that my overall numbers are about the same as previous year (which had the cold winter).

Not bad, not as busy as last year but Ive managed to pick up a couple of new Letting Agents, still got IKEA hobs & cookers trickling through and starting to get more rad moves, boiler breakdowns and servicing work. Got a few boiler swaps coming up in the next couple of weeks so here's hoping it continues.

Rubbish start to the year. Got nothing in the pipeline and had a few bits so far. Was supposed to be starting a a new heating system (labour only thankfully) tomorrow morning but received a call off some woman telling me the guy who had only told me 24 hr previous 'how made up he was with quote and could you start wednesday morning' had asked her to phone me to say it is off as he has had some bad news and wont be happening. Fuming aint the word, scumbag never had the decency to tell me in person albeit over the phone the 'real' reason. Bet i see another van outside there this week while i am out and about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Busy enough to make a living. If I win the next few jobs I have to price, I'll be sorted until the summer.....but that's a big 'if'.

Sorted until April at present.

Rubbish start to the year. Got nothing in the pipeline and had a few bits so far. Was supposed to be starting a a new heating system (labour only thankfully) tomorrow morning but received a call off some woman telling me the guy who had only told me 24 hr previous 'how made up he was with quote and could you start wednesday morning' had asked her to phone me to say it is off as he has had some bad news and wont be happening. Fuming aint the word, ****bag never had the decency to tell me in person albeit over the phone the 'real' reason. Bet i see another van outside there this week while i am out and about.
perhaps the woman has an axe to grind with him and is trying to wreck things for him by cancelling stuff he has arranged?

Its horrible to hear of people with little or no work. I sincerely hope it picks up for them as soon as possible.

Lifes hard enough when you've plenty of work on.

I had thought that steve but i think it will prove to be wishful thinking. To compound it all a good friend of mine has just lucked out on the job front and is now pulling 120 big ones a year. Jealousy is a mo fo as someone once said lol.

This may be for another thread but it's certainly on the same lines. Do any of you guys find your websites provide you with any work? I know it is like any initial outlay you could win it back with one decent job but it seems a real long shot compared to other avenues of drumming up work. Cheers for your words as well danny, gotta take the rough with less rough haven't we lol.

A good looking website need not cost you a fortune. Some of the guys on the forum have designed their own and put it online. Not hard if you have the right software.
Try Serif Webplus, it has lots of predefined templates for you to fill in with your own text and includes free web hosting.

Hope it gets better for you mate.

december was quiet compaired to last year, weathers been mild though. its the last 2 months for me that have been non stop, ive recently gave a couple of jobs away while ive been working late..

a couple of friends that want jobs doing are having to wait, ontop of that im trying to get this heating system sorted for a lad im doing on the cheap over months and time is running out, tenant is moving in soon. just hope it goes a bit quiet..

times like these i should look at taking someone on, but i just think they'd slow me down and when its busy like it is, i dont take my time, thats not to say i make a mess of things or skip things out, past few days i havent even had time for some food, got the tenant to make me something yesterday :) been going to McDonalds on the way home..

From a slow start in January when I started up things have started to get very busy for me. It's a mixture of private jobs and sub contracting to a local caravan maintenance company that have just picked up a big maintenance contract for a local park. They've all come in from the caravan repair side and need someone who's come in from the plumbing side who's more up on the wet central heating stuff.

Similar plumbing topics

No, I believe you absolutely. My own problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Check the pipe regularly, maybe there is...
Replies
Views
Hi, thanks Brambles. My wife is not at all...
Replies
Views
The bath has been in use for 11 months or so...
Replies
Views
B
Hi Steve - that was my answer but apparently...
Replies
Views
Birmingham
B
Back