hows work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss hows work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

wnjswozo

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
weve gone slow on work,seems to very up and down,seem to be having
more down time at mo,going to rethink my advertising,never really advertised before,all work word of mouth,got a big estate agent customer
whose queit,any thoughts on generating work,may have to tap into reserve fund

Same round my way. Most work I get at the moment is for lettings. Private work just seems to have done one.
But I was talking to some plumbers in the merchants they are all the same.
It prob people waiting to see what happens with the government.

It's the same story here. I've just had a few thousand leaflets printed up for about sixty quid, so when it's quite I go round putting them through letterboxes. Normally speak to people on the way round and pick up work that way too.

cleaned van,found £70 worth of speed fittings,did,nt know i had, i get bored after a couple of days,start threatening to do work around our house

I've done the washing up, ironing, dusting, vacuuming, sanitaryware, cleaned the windows, car including wax, planted the vegetables, seen the neighbours, visited my aunties, .... getting stuck as to what to do next. Seems like I might have some time to do some plumbing soon.

It seems to be the time of year/weather/recession, etc, etc. When I do go out it's noticeable how many vans are still sat on driveways day after day.

Not all doom and gloom though - I have a few decent jobs in the pipeline but have to wait for things like planning permission, customer funds, etc.

we are the same,few boiler changes,full servicing day tomorrow,couple of bathrooms,its coming thick and fast,but you cant be complacent take the work while its there

we are the same,few boiler changes,full servicing day tomorrow,couple of bathrooms,its coming thick and fast,but you cant be complacent take the work while its there

true Mark, it takes a while to get back into hard work mode, I struggling to motivate myself atm. Its been quite nice the last 18mnths to finish early, take my mountain bike out etc.

I am continueing to be busy, dont know if it helps but I recently increased the size of my advert in the local paper so its double ie horizontially. This way I am always the 1st and looks like a heading to plumbing.

I have so much work at the moment that i had to work last 2 weekends on a row and still have loads planned in for the next couple of weeks.

i've been offered loads of work over the last few months, but as i am emplyee i have turned it all down and passed it on, as i dont want to work unregistered or break the tax laws, however i am considering getting my own GSR number, setting up company for tax payment (and deductable benefits) and doing the work myself, as well as doing my own job, (greedy pig emoticon)

kirkgas wont be worth it if you do it legit,cost you a small fortune,gs ,pli,tax
knew someone who did it the taxman would,nt leave him alone

kirkgas wont be worth it if you do it legit,cost you a small fortune,gs ,pli,tax
knew someone who did it the taxman would,nt leave him alone

GSR first time £400
PLI £245
class 1 car ins £50 (over what i pay for my car at the moment)
£120 extra for internet phone (over what i pay now)
approx 820 for 1st year then 620 per year, tax wont be a prob, if you earn you pay tax at 29%, plus you have your taxable deductions from expenditure,
i know "someone"!! who does work at the moment and he pays full amount for fuel etc, going legit has its benefits, bit of a gamble but i think it will be worth it, if i shell out £820 this year and do no work at all its hardly a fortune, if i earn a few hundred quid the expenditure will be offset so i wont pay any tax, we will see, lifes a gamble, and i would much prefer to be registered IF i started work as it will allow me to do landlords work etc (not a huge bonus i know) but being registered keeps you /customers right, plus with the job i'm in (plumbing/gas lecturer) i wouldn't want to be done for not being GSR, wouldnt go down too well

Sounds no probs in what you are wanting to do , its seems a good idea, it also says that being a lecturer don`t pay to well which I am sure is true

Sounds no probs in what you are wanting to do , its seems a good idea, it also says that being a lecturer don`t pay to well which I am sure is true

this is not the place to discuss my (very fine) salary, TBH i dont want to sound like a plank by saying it isnt really about the money (cause we are all a bit pink lint at the minute) but it isnt about earning more money, it is about doing work legitimately, i enjoy working and only do jobs for family, but i am being asked by more and more people about doing service and repair work i think i will get organised and do some real work. i think "working" in the college has given me a bit of a lift to get back to basics a bit, we teach for 25hrs a week, have 7.5hrs for prep/marking
so working for only 32.5hrs a week is like part time, haha. add to that a 25min journey each way and it is no prob, gone are the days of travelling 50-100 miles a day and a 10hr shift fitting heating and it is a breeze, i also dont think i will do too much extra work , i will cover the overheads and make a few quid(thats the plan anyway) i'm 48 and have done all the mad hours when i was younger, when we were chasing the money, my kids missed out a bit, 28 + 25 now, but they went on plenty holidays with their mum aunt and cousins while i worked and they say they had a great happy childhood, we have 8 yr old twins now as well and i really enjoy being at home chilling out with them. i actually remember my dad chucking in doing tons of overtime when the older 2 were babies, he simply said he had enough of missing out on me growing up so he chucked doing OT and took the kids everywhere, and i started doing tons of OT and homers, is it just what we do to look after our own, my dad dropped down dead weeks after his 54th birthday, 20 years ago, so i think it is best to get what time you can with your family, sorry this has changed a bit from a money making scheme to some nostalgia/maudling, ho hum i AM changing into my dad, but my wee mum says thats not too bad a thing

this is not the place to discuss my (very fine) salary, TBH i dont want to sound like a plank by saying it isnt really about the money (cause we are all a bit pink lint at the minute) but it isnt about earning more money, it is about doing work legitimately, i enjoy working and only do jobs for family, but i am being asked by more and more people about doing service and repair work i think i will get organised and do some real work. i think "working" in the college has given me a bit of a lift to get back to basics a bit, we teach for 25hrs a week, have 7.5hrs for prep/marking
so working for only 32.5hrs a week is like part time, haha. add to that a 25min journey each way and it is no prob, gone are the days of travelling 50-100 miles a day and a 10hr shift fitting heating and it is a breeze, i also dont think i will do too much extra work , i will cover the overheads and make a few quid(thats the plan anyway) i'm 48 and have done all the mad hours when i was younger, when we were chasing the money, my kids missed out a bit, 28 + 25 now, but they went on plenty holidays with their mum aunt and cousins while i worked and they say they had a great happy childhood, we have 8 yr old twins now as well and i really enjoy being at home chilling out with them. i actually remember my dad chucking in doing tons of overtime when the older 2 were babies, he simply said he had enough of missing out on me growing up so he chucked doing OT and took the kids everywhere, and i started doing tons of OT and homers, is it just what we do to look after our own, my dad dropped down dead weeks after his 54th birthday, 20 years ago, so i think it is best to get what time you can with your family, sorry this has changed a bit from a money making scheme to some nostalgia/maudling, ho hum i AM changing into my dad, but my wee mum says thats not too bad a thing

hi kirkgas, do you work at a college or private trainer? 25 hours a week sounds good! Is it gas or plumbing you teach?

hi kirkgas, do you work at a college or private trainer? 25 hours a week sounds good! Is it gas or plumbing you teach?

i work in a college, teaching gas & plumbing, the hours are great, 25 teaching, 7.5 prep, total 32.5, plus i get 9 public holidays and 12 weeks holiday, cant complain!!!!

Similar plumbing topics

Replies
Views
Biggest new build site in the southwest of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Just use a compression elbow, we wont tell.
Replies
Views
Thanks some good ideas. Just as an aside if we...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do...
Replies
Views
Back