I.D fire | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I.D fire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Turned up yesterday to a house where a previous engineer had i.d a gas fire as closure plate was not sealed with any tape , warning notice issued along with sticker stating reason as spillage.

Now not one for doing much private work and most my gas work is usaully H/A every contract i work on is disconnect gas supply if an ID arises by blanking supply.
In this instance all they had done was wind in screw on restrictor , when i turned up the house owner had round out screw because they were cold and had used fire .

Now my interpretation of regs is I.D disconnect gas supply although owners permission must be sought.

Now in this instance did the previous engineer do his job properly by not plugging restrictor??

However i do think the cust took the pishhhhhh by turning it back on

ID situations should always be capped. Lad on eagaheat got dismissed for not capping ID situations.

If the gas user or responsible person refuses to allow disconnection – make immediate contact with the Gas Emergency Contact Centre.

had one yesterday - failed fire due to plaster board in opening and crumbling causing poor seal and smoke from chimney pointing . customer very unreasonable saying they cant live without the fire .I called the landlord who gave me permission to cap so went a head . don't these customers realise we are trying to keep them safe

It’s like driving a car without any breakes! Some people just can’t see it!

My question on this would be why did the previous engineer just not spend 5 minutes and a couple
of yards of tape to put it right.

Surly a lot quicker and less aggro than the bother of forms, labels and disconnection and capping/plugging.

More to the point the catchment space should be checked and cleaned on a service, also the chimney/flue should be visually checked for blockages and any dampners permanently made open or removed and once finished the closer plate tape should then be renewed....maybe they just couldn't be bothered?

What on earth was the previous engineer there for? I suppose if he were there to attend to something else on the gas side of things, he may have loosely followed the IUSSP. No excuse for not physically disconnecting and capping the fire though.

agree he could have been there and paid only for boiler service and noticed the fire .

Technically he has disconnected the appliance from the supply. He's not covered himself against this idiot though although as said it could have been capped for all you know.

The tenants at fault without doubt. The engineer just needs reminding on why capping is essential when you work with numpties.

Maybe he didn't have any caps on him and it was 6.20pm on a friday night?

Then he shouldn't have been out doing gas work. Having the means to cap off an ID situation is as important as having a u gauge with you.

I know what you are saying but can you honestly say that you have never been in the situation where you have been to a job and realised that you didn't have the fitting, and couldn't get one?

I dropped some white goods at my brother in laws new flat yesterday, an hour away from home, while I was there, I was asked to have a quick look at the fire as it had been supposedly inspected but they didn't trust the landlord. I found a few issues but didn't have any caps with me (I did have some tools but not everything) went to the only place for miles and they didnt have any 10mm caps either. luckily they had 10-15 compression reducer and some 15mm caps so I had to make do.

It was a gas safety inspection of appliances because house is being sold andnew buyers wanted a safety check.
The home owner wasnt overly impressed and did say the same for time it tokk why not tape up the closure plate , also said that the fire was fitted by BG and was never fitted with any tape lol.

GSIUP section 12.3: No one appears to have commented on the fact that missing or unsealed closure plates IS NOT ID. It is AR (unless, of course there is an escape of fumes into the room).Another one making up rules as he goes along. Bit if you ID, you MUST cap off.

No flies on you, Firemant!
3 points to you!
:star::star::star:

GSIUP section 12.3: No one appears to have commented on the fact that missing or unsealed closure plates IS NOT ID. It is AR (unless, of course there is an escape of fumes into the room).Another one making up rules as he goes along. Bit if you ID, you MUST cap off.
Turned off in any result, want be using it.

it stated in the opening post that it stated spillage as the reason for ID on the sticker attached to the appliance.:)

Then he shouldn't have been out doing gas work. Having the means to cap off an ID situation is as important as having a u gauge with you.

If u can't cap appliance cap the meter!! Safety first occupiers second cost last!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

You need to get him back to remove so you can...
Replies
Views
Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
Sounds like you have found a blockage, if so...
Replies
Views
RobinA
R
Yes, all that was in place. Just had no idea...
Replies
Views
Back