I don't always get hot water when I turn the tap on! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
Guest viewing is limited

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I don't always get hot water when I turn the tap on! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

Leroy Sinclair

Gas Engineer
I wonder if anyone can help. Now before I go into it im going to get a qualified heating engineer to sort it but I'm more interested as to what the fault is.

I have an approx 12 yr old halstead platinum combi boiler and, sometimes, when I turn my hot water tap on the boiler doesn't fire up and I get a red fail light come on, resulting in no hot water. The central heating works fine. It doesn't happen all the time but it's getting worse (leaving me to believe it's a sticky valve possibly?) The pressure in the system is fine. When the hot water tap actually works the temperature is sometimes varied I.E it's either lukewarm or scalding. I can clear the fault by either turning off the boiler and firing it back up, or leaving it and the red light clears after about 10 minuts.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

If you do what you say you will in your first sentence then you will get it sorted.

Unless Gas Safe then no advice given with regard to gas appliances.

Nothing wrong with getting a rough idea of what the problem could be before I get a professional in mate. You don't know who you can trust these days and the more I know before I get someone in to fix it the better. I'm away in a different country for the next 3 months and it's just my missis at home and I don't want someone pulling the wool over her eyes if it's just a simple fix

If you're keeping that boiler and worried about being away you definitely need boiler cover.
British Gas will inspect before cover and give quote to bring boiler up to standard. This is about the only occasion I would recommend BG.
If they say new boiler required use independent installer via this site.

Nothing wrong with getting a rough idea of what the problem could be before I get a professional in mate. You don't know who you can trust these days and the more I know before I get someone in to fix it the better. I'm away in a different country for the next 3 months and it's just my missis at home and I don't want someone pulling the wool over her eyes if it's just a simple fix

problem being people then have a go at simple fixes themselves with interesting results at times. From what your saying it could be relatively easy involving a part swap but then your delving into safety devices etc and thats when it becomes a technicians problem. Bit like an intermittent engine fault light on your car, could be simple but the likes of me throws it in the garage and goes on trust to get it fixed and together the garage and I learn to trust each other, him to fix and me to pay. Do the same with as plumber heating technician and things should work out and stop tarring everyone before you know whats what. Coming on a forum and inferring lots of us are cowboys probably isnt the best thing to do in the first place!

Last edited by a moderator:
problem being people then have a go at simple fixes themselves with interesting results at times. From what your saying it could be relatively easy involving a part swap but then your delving into safety devices etc and thats when it becomes a technicians problem. Bit like an intermittent engine fault light on your car, could be simple but the likes of me throws it in the garage and goes on trust to get it fixed and together the garage and I learn to trust each other, him to fix and me to pay. Do the same with as plumber heating technician and things should work out and stop tarring everyone before you know whats what. Coming on a forum and inferring lots of us are cowboys probably isnt the best thing to do in the first place!

Fair point and no offence meant. I just jumped the gun when someone thinks I would be stupid enough to mess with a gas system. I posted here just to get an idea what the problem is that is all

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Not to my knowledge but they're not things I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could be the washer in the tap itself.
Replies
Views
R
  • Question
I suspect that the macerator activation is...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
That definitely sounds like an airlock on the...
Replies
Views
Back