I have been using a Stanley stove with a back boiler for the past ten years. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I have been using a Stanley stove with a back boiler for the past ten years. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

I have been using a Stanley stove with a back boiler for the past ten years. We are now converting to gas and have disconnected the stove from the mains. We would like to keep the stove but I am concerned about how safe/unsafe that might be. I lit a fire and as I had been told, we had a sauna like few hours and when I lit another fire last night, there was no steam. Is there any danger about burning coal fires as the stove is or should I do anything necessary that I'm not aware off? Thanks for any advice folks :)

The concern is that when the empty boiler eventually burns through due to being run dry, fumes can escape through the empty pipework and cause CO poisoning to the occupants. Some plumbers have sandfilled the pipework to prevent this (the sand avoids an explosion risk while mostly blocking the pipework) but this is now considered insufficiently safe. I'm not sure if any studies have been made into what happens if you were to drill a hole in the boiler and then put proper end caps on the pipework.

The accepted way to deal with this though is to remove the backboiler and convert the stove back to being a dry stove, assuming parts are available and that the stove was designed with this in mind. In fairness, this makes sense in that any dry running of the boiler will eventually cause its failure and then you'll be removing it anyway, so you may as well sell the backboiler and use the money to go towards the conversion to dry use.

Similar plumbing topics

Of yes of course, I never thought of that! At...
Replies
Views
when I removed the back coal saver I can now...
Replies
Views
Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
Ok, thanks, so if it can not be accessed from...
Replies
Views
Back