I need to box in a boiler, how much space do I need??? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I need to box in a boiler, how much space do I need??? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alexterry

I'm doing a job, boxing in a combi boiler and have had concerns about how much ventilation it needs. Its a vaillant eco max combi boiler and have spoke to the guys at vaillant and was informed that as its a combi boiler it doesn't need ventilation, However, they did say there needs to be a minimum of 500mm from the front of the boiler, to the doors that access it for servicing reasons. The problem is this can't be done as the boxing will be massive and will just look utter rubbish in the area it is in. (is this a strict guidline that needs to be stuck to??)
My girlfriend not long ago had a new vaillant combi boiler fitted in an existing boxed in area with door and the space between the boxing door and the boiler is only 200mm and it was fitted by gas safe engineers obviously.
On this job, i can only have a gap of 100mm max and i just can't see why that if its not a ventilation issue and only for servicing reasons, why i can just put some doors on it, and removable shelves below so that it can easily be got at if i ever needs servicing.
the guy i'm doing the job for has left it to my discretion so, obviously i don't want to get this wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.
cheers.

Exactly how my wall-hung boiler is installed - it lives in a full height kitchen larder cupboard which was built around it, with removable shelves below the boiler. At service time, you just open the cupboard door and it's there in front of you with all the frontal access you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
25mm either side is plenty. Don't worry about the front as you can open a door. And you need 200mm below usually, but if there is a shelf below that can be removed, that's fine too.

I believe the 500 they were referring to is the clearance required in front of the boiler for servicing,not the distance from a door,if you open the door and the boiler is in front of you,you have the 500mm
What they are saying is there should not be another fixed cupboard side or panel within 500mm of the front of the boiler,ie if boiler in a corner unit,again to get round this is to make the cupboard or panel easy removable
The above is quite a reasonable figure when you think about it
As for ventilation,it is true many boilers do not require additional ventilation into cupboard but I would strongly recommend it if possible ,just drill a few holes top and bottom of unit,it costs nothing and could well help electrical parts last longer

Ventilation cooling of appliance parts while in operation is very important,I think the reason many manufacturers can offer such long warrantees now,is not better build quality but is the fact all components now in many boilers are totally enclosed in casing allowing cooling by cold air being pulled past them to internal fan unit

imho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Pump/feed/expansion are piped/in wrong...
Replies
Views
Great summary and well done for getting it...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
Back