i need warmth! combi working on hot water but not on C/H | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss i need warmth! combi working on hot water but not on C/H in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

philwalker531

Hi

im new so be gentle!

I have a fastline solaris combi boiler. It uses a towerstat wireless thermostat. I have noticed recently that the central heating has stopped working, the hot water works fine. I have tried new batteries in the wireless thermostat, different frequencies for the thermostat and still no joy.

I also tried to bypass the thermostat ( disconnected the cables from the main board) and just use the built in timer on the boiler but still no central heating. It must be something( obviously) any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks

There are normally alot of faults with these wireless Rf room stats... The fact you have hot water indicates the boiler is operating correctly, i would suspect the boiler has lost its signal to the stat and is not recieving demand to come on.
Is there not an override button on the reciever unit? Its normally next to the boiler.

no it just has an on/off button on the receiver. i did initially think it was the receiver as it shows the power light but doesn't show the green 'recieveing' light when the little fan symbol displays on the transmitter. but i cant figure out why the C/H didnt work when i disconnected the wireless thermostat and just used the boilers built in timer ? :(

would a new wireless thermostat be a cheap place to start?

Did you fit a link when you removed the wireless stat connections...? Some boilers come with a link that you have to remove to fit a room stat option.

Did you fit a link when you removed the wireless stat connections...? Some boilers come with a link that you have to remove to fit a room stat option.
yes i read the manual and it mentioned that too - and it did have a small wire link still attached (i assumed that bit would be for a wired thermostat option) the wireless reciever was wired into a plastic connector block that plugged onto the main PCB.

I appreciate your efforts peeps.. keep em coming :) thanks

my big worry/fear is that it could be the pump or something else in the boiler that im not allowed to touch!.... is there a way of testing the pump to rule it out??

Why are you assuming its your room stat that is broke

Mainly because the hot water bit works, the transmitter seems to be doing what it should but the receiver doesn't 'flash' when it should be receiving. it very well may be that the green light only comes on when the boiler is working - i honestly don't know what to try and i cant afford another bill this month, i told the wife to put a jumper on but she aint havin it!

Just to fill you in..... It was the wireless receiver that was fubard... And the chap who posted about the link wire was spot on!!! The reason it didn't work without the wireless bit on was because I didn't link the pcb bit which wasn't mentioned in the manual! Thanks for your help :)

Glad you got it sorted. Its nice to follow up the thread when you solve the problem also =]

I hope you bought a quality Rf stat this time or you will be in the same posistion next year =p

Similar plumbing topics

76 Views and not one single "expert" has...
Replies
Views
A
Not sure why you’d replace the pcb without due...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
T
That would seem prudent, although I never see...
Replies
Views
Assuming ita a combi boiler then you can set...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back