I seem to be losing heat from my hot water cylinder | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I seem to be losing heat from my hot water cylinder in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

MrChips

Being a bank clerk, I am not too conversant with heating matters, but have a question which I hope is OK to ask.

May I paint a picture before asking the question? I would attach a system diagram, but that feature is not enabled at my level of registration on this forum.

I have a hot water cylinder on my landing which, instead on being fed with fresh water from the rising main, is fed from a hot water storage cylinder in my roof-space. This upper cylinder is heated by thermal solar panels on the roof.

I have two water pumps, one which operates form the collector to the upper solar cylinder.
The other operates to provide water from the upper cylinder to a coil in the landing cylinder. (If the temperature difference is appropriate).

I give a one hour burst in the morning from my gas boiler to heat up the landing cylinder to provide hot baths etc. After that I can rely on the solar to keep the water warm enough during the day.

At 18:00 hrs the water in the landing cylinder is usually about 63 centigrade.
During the night the temp drops to approx. 52 cent.
The cylinder is a modern one with integral foam installation sprayed on the outside to about 1" depth.
The solar controller is a Worcester Boche TDS 300 - (In case that info helps!

My question is this:
Is this amount of temperature drop to be expected? or may there be some sort of water movement going on that is leaching heat from the landing cylinder into the solar collector, and dispersing the heat into the atmosphere?
Could there be a faulty non-return valve (or something), that may be faulty?

Hi Mr Chips,
I couldn't really commenbt on your system without seeing it but 1" foam insulation on the cylinder could be the problem.
Most new cylinders have double that.
Buy a jacket to wrap round the cylinder and see what your readings are then ?

Can you confirm if there is any hot flow from one cylinder to the other even when pumps are off ? Thermo convection is a possible reason for the loss, if the pipes are as hot as the cylinder after an hour or so, that could be stopped with a 2 port M/V & the wiring altered so that when opened by the controller, the pump only runs via the built in micro switch.
Make sure all pipes insulated really well, an overnight 11 degs loss, it should be able to cut this temp drop quite a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a commercially available system? Or something cobbled together on a whim?

You know where we would be if the whims of the inspired had never cobbled things together ! The end of inventiveness, no modern tech ? No radar or radio, No industrial revelation ? No curiosity ? Would have us back in the stone age perhaps without a fire or Wheels ?
Give us a break Simon it does not have to be commercially available to be worthwhile !
Could the OP let us know more details ? please.

I will at least try to be positive, any system can usually be improved.
Effective insulation is vital.
Convection can be stopped with a motorised valve or perhaps a non-return valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont be a bell, again.

It was a straight forward question. Is it a system thats been chucked together, or is it a system thats been bought off the shelf. The answer to this would dictate a response.

I know you are a cobbler, which is all well and good for yourself.

So perhaps if we can have a few more details we may be able to assist.

To the op.

Is it a new system? How old?
If not, is this something its always done? Or is it something thats just started to happen? Or is it something you have just noticed?

ed3467d6f855ad7e33d35735ead6d8c7.jpg
fde03a609064227ca250fe9e7ee4bd67.jpg
1797f8ad00e3ad40d1adbad5a827c42e.jpg

Iv seen a faulty check valve on a solar system cause the hot water from the cylinder to gravitate up onto the solar panels at night!!

On the Bosch TDS you can read the panel temperatures, it should display the outside temperature on a cold night, if its warm then the heat from your cylinder is going out to the roof!!!

You know where we would be if the whims of the inspired had never cobbled things together ! The end of inventiveness, no modern tech ? No radar or radio, No industrial revelation ? No curiosity ? Would have us back in the stone age perhaps without a fire or Wheels ?
Give us a break Simon it does not have to be commercially available to be worthwhile !
Could the OP let us know more details ? please.

I will at least try to be positive, any system can usually be improved.
Effective insulation is vital.
Convection can be stopped with a motorised valve or perhaps a non-return valve.

Yes like your thinking and without my childhood neighbour there would have been no concorde he made the spitfire go faster then from doing that pushed concorde through to completion mind he did get a Knighthood for it !

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
  • Question
You Can Use Boiler, Heat Pump.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thanks. It’s pretty powerful. At least 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
They sound extremely suspect, I realise it's...
Replies
Views
Back