i think the PCB board has gone on my boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss i think the PCB board has gone on my boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ajsoad

hi all. im pretty sure the PCB board has gone on my worcester 28i junior boiler. i dont think its the greenstar one though. its approx 7 years old. so my question is who is the best to use to get this repaired? since i know the PCB boards are around £100 is it worth me using someone like british gas? ive seen this advertised on the british gas site Boiler and heating repairs - British Gas
it says fixed price betwen £130 - £160. am i rite in thinking the maximum i could pay is £160 or are there some hidden costs or have i just read the advert wrong? i wasnt sure if i had to pay £69 for a quote then the £160 :S thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
There fixed price quotes are just that. If it states £160, that is all you pay, they don't charge you to come out and quote.

Why not just get a local heating engineer in who'll probably charge about 50 quid or less to change it?

i though since the part i need is around £100 on ebay for a used one i thought it would be cheaper to use british gas for £160

hi all. im pretty sure the PCB board has gone on my worcester 28i junior boiler. i dont think its the greenstar one though. its approx 7 years old. so my question is who is the best to use to get this repaired? since i know the PCB boards are around £100 is it worth me using someone like british gas? ive seen this advertised on the british gas site Boiler and heating repairs - British Gas
it says fixed price betwen £130 - £160. am i rite in thinking the maximum i could pay is £160 or are there some hidden costs or have i just read the advert wrong? i wasnt sure if i had to pay £69 for a quote then the £160 :S thanx

To be honest I would get a Local Gas Safe engineer before you go wasting money on a new PCboard I have found through experiance over the years that if you are following the problem solving guide in the manual, they will always guide you to a conclusion that is not always correct you can also contact the manufacturers help line and they will come to the same conclusion, therefore in this instance you are recommended to replace with a new PCB, these manuals are only a guide and you may well find there is nothing wrong with the PCboard at all and a good service engineer will either know what the problem is through experiance or be able to test the boiler properly

yeh i think they do check it first then they give you a quote but the max it says it can b is £160. so mite give them a try

Most of the manu's offer fixed price repairs too and it is hard for the wee guy to compete. They know this is a foot in the door for other stuff and with all the bad press and rouge traders stuff about gas guys, people are wary of getting independants to do the work if they don't know anyone. Such is life.

the price of spares has always been a con a pcb as a spare is say £100 the price to WB is so small its a trade secret but WB being a big company work out the cost of getting an engineer to a door its around £80 every visit he makes to you is £80 so he will replace parts as if there going out of fashion its the return visit he hates so you got to pay WB BG etc £100 plus it could be a silly little problem which a local engineer could fix for less but we cant compete on the cost of spares

just been on the phone to BG and it costs £69 to get an engineer to your house for 30 mins. and then its £160 per hour he is there. so i dont know what to do now:S mite try and source the part myself and get someone local to fit it

before you do can you describe how you came to the pcb conclusion some of the lads on this site offer pretty good advice it may well be the pcb but as someone said those manual algorithms always end up with a pcb they can be a great assist but they arnt the be all and end all

an engineer at work fitted one a few weeks ago and he thinks its the pcb board. ive tryed cleaning the boiler and ive changed the flame sensor and that didnt work. the boiler ignites but then soon turns off then comes back on then off etc. preasure in the boiler is ok aswell

the engineer at work may or may not be a coincidence and changing parts isnt the way forward the boiler ignites therfore the pcb is controlling the sequence and it goes out further evudence that all is working as it should i think you may have to re-post this as there are people on here with a lot more experience than me it has gas pressure but is the solenoid holding open i may be wasting your time but i would post this again and be more open minded as to the cause

WE DO NJOT help individuals that are not competent and have had there hands in the boiler and changing parts is illegal and putting family at risk is your fault OP

yeah sorry part of this is my fault i,ve become to engrossed in the thread without considering weather he is competant perhaps i,ve been a bit trusting assuming he,s gsr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Have you checked L-N ? 240 ?
Replies
Views
S
Does it have pre-heat functions in the menu.?
Replies
Views
LastPlumber's view makes sense. Anyway this...
Replies
Views
My mother has a rented-out property at the...
Replies
Views
Back