ICOS HE15 Boiler Problem . . . | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss ICOS HE15 Boiler Problem . . . in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sunburstb0y

Hello - I have an ICOS HE15 in a new build, 3 years old. Controller is a Drayton LP 241. Controller programmed for HW 7 till 7:30 am and CH 7:30 till 10:30pm. About 3 months ago boiler started to come on outside of program times, would start up for two minutes then switch off for about 8minutes and then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, ad nauseum. The only way to stop this was to switch the boiler off. Finally took the controller out of the circuit but still the same result.

Ideal's (the manufacturer) response was "the problem you have will be with an external component sending a stray voltage to the appliance bringing it on. Such as a two port valve or the pump etc... A local heating engineer or possibly an electrician could resolve this issue for you." Now I've never heard of a valve or a pump actually sending voltage to anything, they normally consume voltage.

Boiler pretty much permanently displays a "c" (central heating being provided) with the LCD flashing indicating that it is igniting.

Anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I'm happy to pay to have this done but want a professional job with a guarantee on the work. Last Ideal approved engineer didn't have a clue.

Thanks

What Ideal have said is possible.

You'll need someone out to take a look at your system.

What's your location.

You've got a 2/3port valve that has a stuck micro switch

It's a DIY job of you want to change it

It should be in your airing cupboard

Hi - thanks for the feedback. How would I identify and fix this - there's a lot of hardware in the airing cupboard?!? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

Upload a few pics of your airing cupboard.

Will be able to tell your more info then

IMAG0225.jpgIMAG0226.jpgIMAG0227.jpgIMAG0228.jpg

I have come across a similar fault on an ideal boiler, do you have any taps that are dripping? they dont realy have a flow switch as such, a dripping tap can cause them to fire up every now and again. This only applies if its a combi but im to lazy to look it up. :tounge_smile:

Ignore that! just read your post again

Last edited:
How good are you with tracing electrical faults Sunburstb0y? One of the two actuators is faulty but you need to know what your doing in tracing wires etc to find out which one it is :)

I'd need some assistance in locating these and what to look for but given that I'm good to go.

I'd need some assistance in locating these and what to look for but given that I'm good to go.

Do you posses a multimeter/volt meter, know the wiring layout of your heating system and where the main junction box is?

looks like you have unvented cylinder, i would get a G3 qualified rgi in. put a post here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer.[/DLMURL]
imo

yup got a meter and I know where the junction box is but not 100% on heating system wiring layout???

What you have is an S plan with minor alterations due to the overheat stat required due to the unvented cylinder. The instructions for the unvented cylinder will have a wiring diagram but don't alter any of the wiring controls on the unvented as you need to be registered to do this.

i would replace the white valve you have and get the same as the silver one you've got doing hot water ask for a 2 port honeywell zone valve I would check the wiring first but would put money on zone valve being faulty

I'm resurrected this thread because I had a similar call on Monday. The icos is very sensitive to stray voltage. Putting a 0.1uf 275v capacitor across the neutral and switched live solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
Yes, it looked like water had leaked on it...
Replies
Views
great, thanks for sharing, really difficult to...
Replies
Views
Super late to the party but... I heard a...
Replies
Views
I have connected the secondary pump to a wifi...
Replies
Views
Back