Ideal Boiler | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal Boiler in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Boiler

Hi, wonder if anyone can help. I have an Ideal Isar boiler and tonight noticed it's making a weird noise - please dont all suck ya teeth and say *ooooh that sounds expensive*!!!! lol It's not showing an error code, doesnt make the noise during heating water it only makes it when the central heating is running. It's a regular noise and actually sounds like a loud *sigh*. Both heating and hot water are working at the moment and it still does the *t* thingy. Can ya tell im hot at this plumbing lark!! Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for taking the time to point that out.
Any help on my actual question would be much appreciated too

describing sounds, tastes or smells is always a tricky task as is deciphering someone else's description but I'll have a stab at helping with your question...you say the sound is only evident when the boiler is in heating mode, are there any other annomolies i.e. are all the radiators hot downstairs as well as upstairs (assuming it's a house)? Could the 'sighing' sound also be described as a whirring sound?

Thanks for your reply, yes the noise could better be described as a whirring - all the radiators feel hot, upstairs and down.

Thanks for your reply, yes the noise could better be described as a whirring - all the radiators feel hot, upstairs and down.

without actually hearing it myself it'd be hard to give a totally accurate prognosis but it may very possibly be the pump, if the downstairs rads were cold but the upstairs were still hot then this would be certain confirmation. There is another possible cause which could be air in the system, have you vented all the rads lately?

My other half used to do all that sort of thing so I've never done it before but I did check to see if the radiators were hot top to bottom and they were. What ever the problem is I'll have to get an engineer in cos I'm clueless, if it is the pump are they easy to get hold of and would it be an expensive job??

the pump would be around the £100-£120 mark, as for fitting that really depends on the area you live in, the condition of the boiler isolating valves and ease of access to the boiler. As I previously said though this is only a 'possible' cause, the boiler really needs to be seen by a technician to ascertain the problem.
Hope you get it sorted, let us know hoe you get on.
Chris

Check system presure is not to low could just be as simple as topping up to 1.5 bar

thank you both for your help - I'll top it up a bit and take it from there :D

Hi Old Boiler :)

Isars often sigh, it's in their nature! I think they want to be noticed, some inferiority complex, that's why they are always taking the huff and stopping working!

Best bet is as you say, get someone in to hear the noise and better diagnose it's cause!

:)

Usual faults on the isar are internal flue seal moving and blocked condensate trap (the black internal one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Or elec bills as it would be running...
Replies
Views
H
Prob blocked / frozen condense pipe does it...
Replies
Views
Is your boiler the 'Ideal Logic Heat 12' (i.e...
Replies
Views
Could be right above the boiler pipework or...
Replies
Views
Hi, When I turn on the central heating, the...
Replies
Views
Back