Ideal instinct boiler and central heating questions | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal instinct boiler and central heating questions in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

I have ideal instinct boiler and central heating in a house. I have 3 simple questions regarding the boiler, central heating. Because of the certain circumstances I never need hot water in the property, and I only need to heat the property during the winter months.
Boiler operates in 3 modes; ''off'', ''summer mode'' (in this mode it only heats domestic water) and ''winter mode'' (in this mode it heats domestic water and provides central heating).
The questions are:

1. Is it necessary to have electricity supply to the boiler on all year round? In the manual it says it needs to be on all the time: ''The boiler mains power supply must be left on to enable frost protection''. Can actually anything happen to the boiler if mains power supply is off for a good half a year or even longer (for example during spring, summer, autumn)?

2. Can anything bad happen to the boiler if I never run hot water even if it heats it? Cause in ''winter mode'' (the only mode that I use) it does heat domestic water and provides central heating at a same time even if I don't need hot water.

3. Can anything bad happen to certain radiators (in a long run) if they are turned off all the time? I only need some of the radiators on.

It sounds like you have a combination boiler, which if left in winter mode, it only heats a tap on demand, unless you have the preheat function activated. Leaving it turned off should be ok, but I do know some older boilers pcb’s/fans don’t like it.

If it’s heating the water, as long as there’s somewhere to dissipate the heat, then all is good.

only thing that may happen on rads turned off for long periods is the trv (if fitte) may sieze.

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hi Mazonas You will see on page 3 of your...
Replies
Views
Ok great...really hoping it wasn't a leak.
Replies
Views
GREENSTAR CDi CLASSIC Worcester Bosch...
Replies
Views
200% won’t be the reason the cylinder isn’t...
Replies
Views
Back