Ideal Logic - low inlet working pressure | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideal Logic - low inlet working pressure in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

C

cascas

I have issue with the Ideal Independent 30 - rated at 33.7kw gross (30.4 nett)

The working pressure at the meter is 21mbar, and at the test point on the isolation valve only 18mbar. Clearly over the 1mbar drop allowed in BS6891. The MI mentions a pressure drop between the external gas cock could further reduce the operating pressure when measured at its test point however as the test point is part of the cock, I cannot see how this can be that restrictive. Has anyone else found the gas test point under the ideals give a restricted reading?

I have gas rated the boiler and obtained a measurement of 2.91m3/hr. The MI show a gas rate of 3.13m3/hr (based on a lower cv of 38.7), so around 7% below MI but within a tolerance -10% / +5%

I have rechecked the pipework sizing, and calculate a 0.74mbar drop from the meter to the end of the 22mm. The final 0.4 metres is reduced to 15mm to supply the boiler with 1 elbow (effective length 0.7m) – This is outside the range of the chart which shows a max of 2.90m3/hr over 3m for 15mm – even at this rate it would cause a drop of 0.23 – total of 0.97 mbar over the system, which is within limits.

Without fitting a test point on the pipework, it not possible to confirm pressure loss over the pipework.

As I am achieving a gas rate within a -10% tolerance, and 18mbar pressure (within the MI specification), is the supply undersized, or are the readings some peculiarity of the ideal isolator test point? Would it be worth fitting a test point on the pipework to confirm? In this event, the final 0.4m of 15mm with elbow might as well be upgraded to 22mm - this will gain approx 0.2mbar.

If undersized, obviously, I want to try to avoid having to upgrade the 22 to 28mm, and I suspect that the final 0.4m of 15mm should be upgraded to 22mm with a 22mm elbow before the reducer. This should gain around 0.2mbar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, very thorough. IMHO you are looking too deep into this issue, I would ask;
1. Is the boiler working satifactorily?
2. Are all of the measurements (working pressure/CO/CO2/Ratio) within specified limits?
3. IS IT SAFE?
If the answer is yes, then just make a note on the BENCHMARK paperwork or Gas Safety Cert to show you have noted it and have made a decision based on sound engineering judgement, sorted.

Similar plumbing topics

Thank you for the replies. I had another...
Replies
Views
Sometimes, people solder a 22mm reducer onto...
Replies
Views
Absolute cock & bull from SGN, think about...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Would you like the engineers to work for free...
Replies
Views
P
Doesn't matter, mod will remove or close it.
Replies
Views
Back