Ideas for fitting a Combi where flue options are limited | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideas for fitting a Combi where flue options are limited in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny5isalive

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone,

I have to price a job and I have two options as far as I can see to put in a combi and run the flue.

1. There is a window that takes up the whole of the external wall and so the easiest option for me is for them to take out the window and brick it up enough so I can put a boiler on the wall and run the flue through it as per MIs.
  2. I am pricing for this but another option is to leave the window and run the flue through the wall into the next room ( a fire escape) , along and out. The flue will be above head height in the fire escape and run along the ceiling. There is only a metres leeway from floor where the boiler will be to the base of the stairs in the fire escape. I was wondering if anyone knew of a floor standing where the flue comes out relatively low level so it can have the appropriate drop from termination to boiler. The flue will have to run about 3 metres with potentially two 45s and 1 90 or 3 90s

Or does anyone know of any other options.

Going vertically is not an option and neither is going the other way through the building really as it would be a pretty complicated flue run and would be about 12-15metres.

It is not ideal but seems to be the only other option.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
If you go through Fire escape it may need boxing in, stop people swinging on it, i possible get 2mtr length of flue cut down joints, but you may have to get permission to cross this area, and fit fire stops

If you go through Fire escape it may need boxing in, stop people swinging on it, i possible get 2mtr length of flue cut down joints, but you may have to get permission to cross this area, and fit fire stops

Thanks for the reply. The fire escape is completely unused apart from in the need of escape and the ceiling is 2.6 metres from the landing floor so hopefully hanging should be out of the question for most unless they like a bit of backdoor parkour.

I hadn't thought of fire stops, Thanks. It may well be that a flue is not allowed to pass through that wall at all. The client is liasing with the landlord.

Really it's all dependant on finding a suitable boiler of which so far I can only find the Worcester Highflows.

There is such a difference in price between the Highflows and an Intergas especially with the extra work required that I can't see how it is going to make economic sense.

love that reply "the fire escape is completely unused apart from in the need of escape", pmsl

I meant that it is completely unused and alarmed unlike the multiuse corridors you get in schools, hospitals etc.

There's rubble and half removed floor tiles at the bottom if they are unlucky enough to ever need to use it in anger.

You want an idea........... let BG quote then pinch their idea and quote half the price :)

Good luck otherwise :)

I wouldn't worry about it making economic sense, if they want the job doing they will have to pay the price, whatever the cost, or get BG and pay over 10 years.

You want an idea........... let BG quote then pinch their idea and quote half the price :)

Good luck otherwise :)

Last quote of theirs i saw was 2500 for a combi swap and im certainly not doing it for 1200. Power flush for 375 i can do tho quite happily....

I wouldn't worry about it making economic sense, if they want the job doing they will have to pay the price, whatever the cost, or get BG and pay over 10 years.

I was more thinking the inflated price of the floor standing as opposed to the wall mounted window blocked option. Wont make me any more money and is a lot more hassle. Wall mounted leaves them more space as well as they use it as an office atm. They want to change it because their gas bills are so high and from what theyve said about the cost of them it wont take long to get the money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I took those photos! Looks like the only...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Exactly it's our opinions but that opinion...
Replies
Views
E
It sounds like that needs to be sealed from...
Replies
Views
Thank you for responding Chuck, I have booked...
Replies
Views
Back