Ideas for water boost | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Ideas for water boost in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

kris

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hey guys . I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have a job to do to a regular customer who's moved house in the country. It has a private well supply and at the minute there are 3 storage tanks in the attic filling the usual gravity system. It's a decent size property and he is set on a combi boiler . I've tried talking him into pressurise HW and system boiler but he's adimant he wants a combi ...... I'm planning fitting an ideal vogue 40 but my issues are his incoming main standing pressure is nearly 1.5bar soon as you open tap that drops drastically. It's around 13lpm. Now I'm looking to boost the water to the combi boiler for the hot water as well as boost the main going to all other outlets . I spoke to grundfoss today about there home boost which is combination of a slave tank and pump on the incoming main which is usable for combis and boost the pressure to 3bar . On previous jobs I've fitted the UPA 15/90 but that's no good for what I need . There are 2 bathrooms in the property and the usual utilities. I'm looking to see what you guys might use in this situation. Some pumps I'm looking at cannot be put onto mains so they need storage tanks so I'm just not sure what set up to go with . Also in the property is 2 electric showers so they will be replaced with thermostatic mixers so water need to be balanced .
Any of you guys any ideas or previous experience with this type of set up thanks in advance chaps...

Also b4 I go and scour the tinternet has anyone any good buys on PH filters, cheers

20130305_160357.jpg

Ive fitted the home boost but it is a beast think washing machine only taller. Have you looked at the salamander in line pump think its called home boost or eco boost something like that.

Obviously dint need to tell you it seems more like restriction then pressure issue

Yeh that's the one rob , but I was only going to go with 1 tank, Yeh looked at the salamander and spoke to there technical team but because we have 13lpm then there pumps won't be mucal cope , can u remember the cost at all, grundfoff quoted me 2499, then found it on Internet way cheaper at 1400 ( I think )

Sorry kris can't remember that was from back in 2012 early 13.

I don't know the specifics surrounding this 14ltr per minute but the grundfoss acts as a break tank so you'll not be pumping the mains directly so that should side step that one

Sorry kris can't remember that was from back in 2012 early 13.

I don't know the specifics surrounding this 14ltr per minute but the grundfoss acts as a break tank so you'll not be pumping the mains directly so that should side step that one

Yeh I didn't want to pump mains direct and wanted storage ,,, cheers for info Rob, great help mate ,

I think the limit on boosting mains is 12l/min Kris, not 14. Both the Grundfos and Salamander mains booster pumps are restricted to this.

As you already have CWSCs, why not boost the output from the tanks with a twin impeller whole-house pump? You already have a break tank so the restriction on boosting mains doesn't apply. A Stuart Turner Monsoon 4.5bar pump will give excellent pressure and from memory, around 75l/min maximum flow.

No problem with boosting the cold into the combi - done it many times and it works a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also go with an accumulator, I have fitted a few now with unvented cylinder with brilliant results. TWS even do one which charges the accumulator with a pump on top to help boost pressure as well as flow. Think they boost pressure to about 3.5bar from memory.

I wouldn't reccomend the salamander home boost, fitted two and there noisy with very little improvement. Have fitted a fair few accumulators and much better, have also dealt with TWS but i wouldn't reccomend them either, expensive because they rebrand someone elses accumulator and we found the last job they priced the rep/technical man, whoever he was, was rude.
We now use a company called great water, cheaper on accumulators and a small company, met them at PHEX and spoke to the boss who was very helpful and a nice guy.
Goes a long way.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
which must be protected by a RCD new circuit...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How high is the hill 40m as that will add 4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Probably all off one main hence your problem...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water...
Replies
Views
Back