Identifying hot water cylinder valve and why is it leaking! | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Identifying hot water cylinder valve and why is it leaking! in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

I

Ian Anderson

Hiya,

Having a strange intermittent leak from a valve, or rather a pair of valves on the side of my hot water cylinder. It is doesn't leak all the time, usually after nothing has been used for a while and the mains pressure climbs.

I am wondering whether to drain the tank and then "dismantle" the valves to see if anything is amiss. Trouble is I am not sure of their function!

e.g. why are they a pair? Why do they both seem to be fully tightened? Are they for safeguarding against excessive pressure or temperature?

So many questions! Any help would be gratefully received and faithfully applied :laugh3:.View attachment 7928

trying again.....

Attachments

• what type of valve.jpg
    what type of valve.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:
never seen that valve before, but im sure somebody on the forum will have seen and fitted one before and will be able to give you some more details. In the mean time can you post a picture of the whole cylinder to give us an idea of what its fitted to and where it positioned.

welcome to the forum

Thanks guys, I managed to get in there and have a good look yesterday. Once the white valve tops were unscrewed a little I found words related to pressure around the tops indicating that they are a pressure release safety thing, set at 9bar.

(They are mounted mid way up the tank and on the cold inlet pipe)

The one that is not leaking, when unscrewed lifts a valve and dumps water out of the bottom outlet. The one that is leaking doesn't do that, when unscrewed it leaks from around the spindle etc.

Googled the words on the top of the valves and they are German, and by an amazing coincidence the first owner and builder of this house was a German.......... Looks like he brought more than a suitcase over lol!

Anyhoo, now that we know what they are, it should be easy enough to remove the leaking one and clean it up and refit it with some fresh stuff, although initial testing of the joint finds it incredibly tight in the base! A 'first thing in the morning' job, methinks!

Fingers crossed and thanks again.

Good to hear you've sorted this puzzle :p. Just one thing, bear in mind that only competent person with G3 ticket should work on unvented. Also, what is below the outlet of that valve? Looks like incomplete installation, but hard to say without seeing it. :chillpill:

Similar plumbing topics

C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
Hi, I've got an unvented hot water cylinder...
Replies
Views
Elliott
E
  • Question
Have you done this, did it work? Also...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
Back