If i live in a hard water area what is the cheapest way of getting around the problem | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss If i live in a hard water area what is the cheapest way of getting around the problem in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

P

paterson00

It seems like the hard water in my area is causing my element to go in my immersion tank very often. If the hard water is the cause how do i solve it? What options are available to me?

Re: If i live in a hard water area wting aroundhat is the cheapest way of get the pro

One way is to fit a heating element designed for hard/agressive water. I believe it's called an 'inconel' element or something like that, and it only costs a few quid more than the standard copper-sheathed element. It is supposed to last a lot longer!

Another possible (or additional) solution is to get a water conditioning unit fitted to the pipe supplying the hot water cylinder. This will not soften the hard water, but it will prevent scale building up on the element or inside the hwc. One type I have been using successfully is the polyphosphate type, which has a cartridge (or 'crystals') that needs replacing every year or two. It doses the water with very tiny undetectable amounts (ppm) of food-grade polyphosphate. This modifies the way calcium carbonate deposits form when the water is heated, so that they do not adhere.

Any help?

Cheers, Big Al

Upvote 0
Re: If i live in a hard water area what is the cheapest way of getting around the pro

Fit an element designed for hard/aggressive water. I believe it's called an 'Inconel' element, and is only slightly dearer than the regular element.

And/or fit a water conditioner in the feed pipe to the hot water cylinder. I recommend a cartridge-type polyphosphate dosing unit. You have to change the cartridge annually depending on usage. The water is not softened, but it won't deposit scale onto hot surfaces in the hwc and element, thus prolonging their lives and increasing efficiency. (Scale promotes corrosion on copper surfaces.)

Both these solutions are not too pricey, especially if you can do it yourself.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Yours is an old fotic cylinder, Thermal store...
Replies
Views
I've tidied up this thread and banned a user...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Is there a ball valve on the flexihoses? Might...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ok thank you Chuck, yes it does a bit 😆 That's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
How high is the hill 40m as that will add 4...
Replies
Views
Back