I'm in need of a new boiler. | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I'm in need of a new boiler. in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jg623

I live in large old house, and the heating bills are quite expensive.

I turn off radiators in rooms that i don't use frequently but I think the main problem is between the (old?) boiler (model : POTTERTON KINGFISHER CF 180) or the radiators themselves.

I think the full system needs to be flushed out because i can hear the water on the radiators in some rooms and its quite loud.

I've came on this forum because I'm not sure what steps to take, i heard there is a 'boiler scrappage scheme' but I'm unsure if this is still active.
I don't know whether to replace the boiler and i had one guy out saying i'd be better of with a boiler upstairs and one down stairs but I'm not sure on his word.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time.

#jg623

welcome to the forum jg623 , you are right the scheme has finished , if you need a new boiler get a few quotes . to get this right they would need to visit to do calculations etc. you may got a rough idea if you list how many rooms you have how many btahrooms etc how many floors etc etc etc.

as bod said get some quotes and im sure the guys that come around will give you different suggestions on how best to proceed.

Thanks for your reply.

I have 3 bathrooms and 1 wc that has a radiator.
Kitchen has 1
room next to the kitchen has 1
hallways in total have 4 (2 large, about 6ft)
dining room has a large one (6ft)
front room has a large one (6ft)
living room has 2, about 4ft
small cupboard has one about 4ft
bedroom has 1 (this radiator is the only one that has a newer style),
office has 1
large bedroom upstairs has 2 (about 4/5ft)
medium size bedroom has 1 (4ft)
other bedroom has 1 (3ft)
large living area has 2 radiators about 5ft

so in total 23 radiators. I could say only half actually work. it seems to be most of the ones downstairs. If you need any boiler details or pics of the radiators i can get them no problem.

Is the make of my boiler old? or ancient?

Thanks for your help so far.

Where are you located?, just wondering because the Scottish Boiler Scrappage Scheme is still open..
[DLMURL="http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/content/view/full/724"]Boiler Scrappage Scheme Scotland - Heating Grants Scotland[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi without knowing the exact size (Hight) are they doubles or single radiators , has the right size pipe work been used ? is the pump the right size ? has you see lots of questions, your boiler is on the limit as far as output,allowing for hot water, Whatever you deside is going to be expensive, with out seeing the house or system it may all have to be replaced.
Best of Luck, Hope you have deep pockets !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I once had a similar experience with my old...
Replies
Views
External hounsfield heat only. If you really...
Replies
Views
Turned out to be a dirty flame eye inside the...
Replies
Views
In the back of the fireplace there will be a...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Back