I'm not Part P but | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss I'm not Part P but in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

even I know that you can't run a 9.5KW water heater on a bit of 1.5mm flex.

Called out to a tea rooms today with not hot water to the rest room. Apparently the trip goes once a month or so and they just reset it. This time it hadn't tripped. I took the cover off assuming that it must be a 3Kw jobbie and when I saw the melted cable I checked and it was a 9.5KW one. Temporarily reconnected the cable and the heater worked but the cable got as hot as the water. Disconnected and told them they need to get a sparks out to rewire it.

Could have been nasty as it's a 14th century place in Battle.

Crazy. That's like wiring a shower with 1.5 butal lol . What size of fuse ( @ fusebox ) that was tripping mike

Soz just read your post again . Was it instantaneous or not ?

I'm a dumb newbie but even I know that's just idiotic!!!

That's true diy ers and at least you've left it safe Mike, scary when a cable gets hot too touch,
i remember I was called to an old nuns convent which had been converted to house dss homeless and one of the electric showers wasn't working, when I arrived I found a 10.5kw shower that had been wired with 6mm cable instead of 10 and a 30amp breaker instead of 45 and fuses were the old ceramic fuse wire breaker , now unsurprisingly kept breaking the fuse wire, now the guy that ran the place seemingly took matters into his own hands and he took the red dotted ceramic fuse and stuck a 2" nail inside to save the fuse wire but this only caused a big heat up n big mess when fuse melted and took part of consumer unit with it ,,,, when I arrived I could see melted section n scorch marks on consumer unit and I only got the full story of this idiots attempts to cut corners because one of the residents witnessed it,,,,, it was at that point I walked away and told them to get select spark to fit new board as nothing wrong with shower,,,,,, Crazy what idiots will do to cut corners, this could've been so much worse with loads of residents at risk,

That's true diy ers and at least you've left it safe Mike, scary when a cable gets hot too touch,
i remember I was called to an old nuns convent which had been converted to house dss homeless and one of the electric showers wasn't working, when I arrived I found a 10.5kw shower that had been wired with 6mm cable instead of 10 and a 30amp breaker instead of 45 and fuses were the old ceramic fuse wire breaker , now unsurprisingly kept breaking the fuse wire, now the guy that ran the place seemingly took matters into his own hands and he took the red dotted ceramic fuse and stuck a 2" nail inside to save the fuse wire but this only caused a big heat up n big mess when fuse melted and took part of consumer unit with it ,,,, when I arrived I could see melted section n scorch marks on consumer unit and I only got the full story of this idiots attempts to cut corners because one of the residents witnessed it,,,,, it was at that point I walked away and told them to get select spark to fit new board as nothing wrong with shower,,,,,, Crazy what idiots will do to cut corners, this could've been so much worse with loads of residents at risk,

Goddam :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

N
PPL in York (i know its a long way) do...
Replies
Views
uug197h
U
Back