Immersion diversion advise | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion diversion advise in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Plumb Tidy

Gas Engineer
Hi all, I'm just after some knowledge to something i came across today. I was asked how a direct unvented cylinder worked in an apartment a few doors down to where i was working. The couple just moved in and wanted some advice, They had only been in the apartment for two days and used to have a combi system. The cylinder wasn't heating up over night and they had to constantly use the boost and the controls were not working at all.

I made safe the electric and opened up the control box and saw what is in the picture attached to this thread. One wire from one RCD feeding both immersions, the controls completely by passed. I was just wondering why they had done this as i am interested. Also wanted to know if one 20amp breaker is suitable for two immersions around 3kw's each.

I have asked them to get an electrician in. Then i can sort out the cylinder as the expansion vessel is flat and the check valve is before the tee off to the cold feed to bathroom and kitchen and D1 for the expansion relief runs uphill 600mm, been there since 2001 with no paperwork.

Cheers.

Attachments

• tempImagewBLLt2.png
    tempImagewBLLt2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
Sounds like the last people bypassed the controls as it’s bad / faulty and couldn’t be bothered to sort it

With regard to your comment about the capacity of the breaker and cable - good call - 2 x 3kW (@240V) = 25Amps, over the safe rating for 2.5 T&E, and the 20A breaker (though it might not trip)

But that Horstmann timer is designed to ensure only one immersion can be on at a time. ie if you pressed 'boost' while the lower timed immersion was on, it would disconnect the lower timed one for the duration of the boost.

If the Horstmann controller still works, and is reconnected and used as intended, the circuit won't be overloaded.

As per Shaun, looks like a bodge cos something's gone wrong. Maybe the bottom immersion has failed?

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just a thought but did you check the fuse box...
Replies
Views
  • Question
They need to hold there g3 certificate eg...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes it would have been better to take the feed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
I cannot see the photo's but from your...
Replies
Views
Back