Immersion Heated Switch | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion Heated Switch in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hello,

We have a water tank and with all the Energy talk at the moment, we’ve been told to check that the immersion isn’t on all the time! We have constant hot water so my assumption is that it has been left on.
This may sound like a stupid question but is the the correct switch to keep turning it on and off? It’s the only switch near the tank but doesn’t say it’s for the immersion.
I’m sorry but I’ve never had a water tank or immersion so I’m clueless!
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• 58BE1AC4-7989-4FBC-86BC-964170B814AF.jpeg
    58BE1AC4-7989-4FBC-86BC-964170B814AF.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 28
Depends on your daily hot water use but it doesn't need to be on all the time, it maybe enough to just turn it on for just an hour or two in the morning and it'll last the day.

Ideally get an immersion timer fitted and a cylinder jacket.

Also I would check what electricity tariff you are on ? Eg. If you are on economy 7 or similar only run it on lower tariff electricity. You will notice the difference in your bills !

There's a pump and zone valve low down suggesting you've also got a gas (or electric or oil) boiler.
The water would normally be heated by that and the immersion only if the boiler fails.
There may be a timeswitch somewhere for the immersion.

The simplest thing to do to start with is turn off the immersion at that switch and see if you still have hot water after you've used it for a day.
If the hot water stays hot then the boiler is heating it.

Similar plumbing topics

E
Is it an unvented cylinder? Sounds like issue...
Replies
Views
https://www.tanks-direct.co.uk/files/pdf/pdf303...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, thanks for getting back to me...
Replies
Views
Can you switch off power to the heating...
Replies
Views
The timeclock is hopefully fairly self...
Replies
Views
Back