Immersion heater: copper, Incoloy or titanium element? | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion heater: copper, Incoloy or titanium element? in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,

I'm replacing a 14" copper immersion heater installed into a Fortic hot water cylinder. The heater failed after just three years.

Hoping to get more life out of the next one, I've ordered an Incoloy, but am wondering whether to go for the titanium instead. It's only an extra couple of pounds in Screwfix. That said, according to the water company, the supply is "mod. soft" with a "hardness clarke" of 5.18. (No idea what that means.) Should Incoloy even be necessary? The water quality analysis is here.

As it happens, I'm no fan of the Tesla heaters that Screwfix sells. The temperature scale on their thermostats is unhelpfully in 15 degree intervals with no graduations in-between and the installation guide for the last one wrongly showed the neutral wire connecting directly to thermostat, missing out the element completely.

[automerge]1593350537[/automerge]
Would a titanium heater have any practical benefit over the Incoloy--or is it the case that even the Incoloy is unnecessary and that the copper should do?

Last edited:
How long has your existing one lasted ?

Don't have a multimeter but did replace the thermostat with a new one. No heating even though there was voltage at both terminals of the thermostat.

Looking again just now, the site of the blow-out seems to be the heater's neutral terminal in the boss. Taking the thermostat apart, there's no damage inside. The scorch marks are on the outside only.

Have also just noticed that the neutral wire has come away from its terminal. Doubt I'd have missed that, but I'll clean it up and try with the new thermostat again.
[automerge]1593528555[/automerge]
Actually, rather than reconnect, I'll get hold of a multimeter. If the element's shorting then connecting up again could be unpleasant.

Last edited:
Don't have a multimeter but did replace the thermostat with a new one. No heating even though there was voltage at both terminals of the thermostat.

Looking again just now, the site of the blow-out seems to be the heater's neutral terminal in the boss. Taking the thermostat apart, there's no damage inside. The scorch marks are on the outside only.

Have also just noticed that the neutral wire has come away from its terminal. Doubt I'd have missed that, but I'll clean it up and try with the new thermostat again.
[automerge]1593528555[/automerge]
Actually, rather than reconnect, I'll get hold of a multimeter. If the element's shorting then connecting up again could be unpleasant.
You should use an insulation tester to check whether the element is breaking down and therefore needs replacing

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just a thought but did you check the fuse box...
Replies
Views
S
  • Question
If your cylinder is copper or stainless and...
Replies
Views
M
Replies
Views
Back