Immersion heater gets hot then thermostat trips, continually. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion heater gets hot then thermostat trips, continually. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are having some real problems with an immersion heater, the thermostat of which is continually tripping. The vented direct HW cylinder (112litre) is in the loft of a friend’s flat. The IH is a 27" Incoloy running diagonally with a 14" stat and has been installed about for about four months. It failed the other day following a fair bit of use from mate & friends returning from a holiday after not having been used for about a month.

I checked the resistance of the IH to be 20Ω and replaced the tripped thermostat (which had been set to about 60°c), reconnected and everything got hot nicely. The following day: same result. This time I removed the IH and shining a light into the cylinder was surprised to see two stems of a broken element poking upwards and presumably making contact with and shorting the live element – wonderful :dead:. Following the removal of the element remnants I refitted the element as it looked to be in good order (minimal scale) this time setting the thermostat to 55°c. I genuinely thought that this was the problem resolved and had no expectation of the stat tripping again. Yet, this is exactly what has happened.

Any ideas what could be the problem, here? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Note: It is the stat that has tripped continually. The mcb light at the consumer unit remains on.

I had one once where the element had moved closer to the tube that the thermostat is located in. Best change the lot or take out and check how close they are

Are you sure the immersion heater cover isn't covered over by something, like cylinder jacket or clothes etc? Puts the cut out off if it is covered.
Unless you are unlucky to have faulty stats.

I had one once where the element had moved closer to the tube that the thermostat is located in. Best change the lot or take out and check how close they are

Interesting. The tube, though, is housed in the sheath - would this be likely to expand? Regardless I think I'll take your advice and replace the element and stat. Thanks, Pete. :wink5:

Are you sure the immersion heater cover isn't covered over by something, like cylinder jacket or clothes etc? Puts the cut out off if it is covered.
Unless you are unlucky to have faulty stats.

No. The cover has had quite a lot of its surrounding insulation foam removed to make access for previous element installations. The cylinder is located in an attic so there is no option to heat clothes.

Thanks for your help, chaps. Would you be able to recommend a reliable 14" thermostat manufacturer as I think it might be worth changing from the type that we currently have.

Cheers.

TB

I will return to problematic immersion heater tomorrow with Sunvic thermostat in hand (thanks, WHPES).

Just one further point. Whilst the replacement IH was getting warm I did notice that the isolating DP switch also becomes pretty warm. I suppose with 12 or 13 amps passing through the cable this might be expected but perhaps somebody could confirm if this is the case? Also when switching off at this isolator there is a little flash visible. I switched of supply at the consumer unit and opened the switch up and the connections look tight. I would expect that if there were to be a problem with the switch then the MCB would trip but this does not happen it's the stat that trips and the water is not anywhere near to hot.

Thanks again for any comments.

:wink5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

It sounds like you have a dodgy thermostat on...
Replies
Views
The solar PV isn't connected directly to the...
Replies
Views
Do you check the connection yourself? I would...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back