Immersion heater overheating | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion heater overheating in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Zippymark

Gas Engineer
Hello, i have a job that had an immersion heater overheating, i didn't know how old it was so just replaced it as they don't seem to last these days. Within a week it had overheated, so i reset it. Now a month later it has gone again, and maybe once more.

It's a 14" immersion, incoloy/titanium this time, on a direct combination cylinder, so the only source of heat. There is not a shower pump or anything. Going by the amount of plastic immersion heater caps littering the loft, this happens pretty often.

Can anyone think of any other reasons this keeps on happening? The only other thing i can think to check is the state of the ballvalve, i guess if that's getting stuck or running slowly it might be emptying and overheating because of that?

Any help appreciated, thankyou.

1. Is it in a hard water area? If so, then then cylinder may have so much limescale in it that it is surrounding the element and causing it to overheat.
2. If so, then:
2a. Remove immersion and try and scoop out limescale through opening. OR
2b. Replace cylinder.

London, so yes. I've visitied yesterday and turned to almost its lowest setting so we'll see if that helps but in future i'll definitely shine a torch in to see how much limescale there is 👍

Also check/take a picture of immersion head, some (normally, older type) had a separate hi limit stat attached to the immersion boss, if fitted, change this and the control stat to a combined control/hi limit stat which may cure the problem.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Just a thought but did you check the fuse box...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I think DJ only ever used the long, bath...
Replies
Views
  • Question
And once again Basher you‘re spot on! Have...
Replies
Views
W
  • Question
Need a g3 eg unvented engineer
Replies
Views
  • Question
Get a gas fitter to come and take a look at...
Replies
Views
Back