Immersion Heater Thermostat problems | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Immersion Heater Thermostat problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

drmick

Hello I wonder if someone can offer some advice?

I have a hot water cylinder in a little flat I have, a couple of weeks ago I had no hot water, the immersion heater thermostat had a reset button on it which had popped out I reset this and reduced the operating temperature slightly, yesterday the hot water went again, again the reset button had popped, i removed the thermostat, as it didn't want to reset, water started to weep from the hole that the thermostat fitted into.

I managed to reset the thermostat, i slotted it back into its hole and this displaced a lot more water which i soaked up with a cloth, but it still appeared to be weeping water (I will check it again in the morning as I am on Night shift at the moment).

Questions) should I replace the thermostat has it come to the end of its useful life it 7 years old but all in good condition, and a more simple one (or is it me thats simple) what is it that prevents water coming out the thermostat hole under normal conditions.

Any help gratefuly accepted

Micky T

you need to change the immersion heater, the water should not be there.... ie. its leaking.

Cheers Bear!!

Will change it tomorrow, are they standard fitting? the thermostat is 44 cm long.

If it goes in the bottem of the cylinder you want a 11". If it goes in the top you want a long one.

I cant remember how long they are

Your local plumbing supplies should also supply the correct immersion for the water scale in your area

Let the members on the forum know where you are, and you might find someone is available to replace the immersion. The dry pocket that the thermostat slides into, is nipped at the end, and welded or soldered. What often happens in hard water areas, is a small piece of lime scale accumalates on the tip, which over time weakens the seam, and you get water ingress. There is no economical repair for this, and you will require a suitable replacement element/stat.

They come in imperial lengths, 11, 14, 27 etc. The stat is not an indication of what length element to buy as one stat will cater for various length elements.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this, went to local plumbers mertchants this morning and bought a new immersion heater complete with thermostat, and a big heater spanner!! all changed and working beautifully, the braize at the base of the thermostst housing had fractured on the old heater which is what was allowing the water in. damp carpets this morning but happy that now everything is working safe and sound.

Many thanks to one and all for prompt and helpful advice

Micky T

Ah!! You see? If you'd got a (non cowboy) plumber in there's be no damp carpets!!!

Well done in changing it though and glad all's well.

Wet carpets happened overnight, as the water weeped out of the thermostat tube and ran down the tank...I am very proud to say that I ran a hose to the outside world and didn't spill a drop!! but nothing that a day with the old de-humidifier won't sort out.

Once again guys thanks so much for the support and advice

Micky T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
There's no leaks anywhere above it. The water...
Replies
Views
Thanks for all the help. It was the gas valve...
Replies
Views
J
  • Question
Hi, did you ever solve this problem? You...
Replies
Views
Whenever the water gets too hot, I simply do...
Replies
Views
C
I’m not posting here to agree to do/looking...
Replies
Views
Back