Incoming cold water main Isolation valve passing water when closed - replace? | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Incoming cold water main Isolation valve passing water when closed - replace? in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

M

mikehardy

Hi, I have noticed when the incoming main valve is fully closed it is still passing water possibly as much as 10% of normal flow. This valve is possibly 20 years old. Should I replace with what? The valve in question looks like an ordinary brass tap. Is this correct for mains isolation? if so replacing the tap washer will solve the problem? Hard water area.

Comments please,

Mike.

Just done mine.
Note: you will more than likely have to replace the whole tap inc nuts, the nut on the incoming pipe (black pipe?) may be BSP and the new stop valves (few quid from screwfix/toolstation/merchant) will be metric. Get a pipe sleeve while you are there.
I would actually get the thing apart, cut and prep the pipe, go to a merchant with said pieces and get all at once. Hopefully your external road stop valve stilll works.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

A
  • Question
Contact them again and hope you don’t get the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Are you sure the taps arnt off the mains as...
Replies
Views
You’re 200 miles away - he is there. You’re...
Replies
Views
  • Question
All helpful possibilities cheers, I'm hoping...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Has anything been changed, or added recently?
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back