Increasing water pressure from well | Bathroom Advice | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Increasing water pressure from well in the Bathroom Advice area at Plumbers Forums

M

Myfanwy

Hi - I am looking for advice on the correct pump to buy to resolve a water pressure problem.

Our water is provided from a well on the hill above the house, which feeds a storage tank which sits about 25m away from the house and about 6m in height from the ground floor - this is about level with the roof of the house.

Water comes in under gravity from the storage tank, down the hill and then up to a header tank in the house, which is situated in the attic. The pipe is 32mm (probably internal diameter of about 25mm)

[The header tank feeds a hot water cylinder heated by both Rayburn and immersion heater. Both hot and cold water are pumped from the header tank and hot water cylinder to the whole house by a twin pump (except the cold feed to the kitchen which comes directly from outside - pressure isn't a problem at this tap).]

Our problem is that the header tank in the attic and the storage tank on the hill are so close in height that water comes in under extremely low pressure, meaning that the header tank fills very very slowly. This isn't a problem most of the time, but if a lot of water is used at once - any time the bath is filled, for example - the water is pumped from the header tank at a much faster rate than it comes in and the system runs out of water.

I know the best solution would be to move everything down a level, but that is a costly option and there isn't really any space. What we're thinking of is a fix where we would install a pump to increase the pressure of water coming into the house - essentially, it would be pumping water from one tank (the storage tank outside) to another (the header tank in the attic).

My questions are:

1. Which pump should we buy to do this? (a pump with dry-run protection would be best as there are occasionally problems with the water supply)
2. Would it be better to site the pump in the attic, or downstairs where the water enters the house?
3. The header tank currently has a ball cock and I think the pump might be fighting against this as it closes slowly. Can anyone recommend a better valve, that we could fit to the existing tank, that would shut off instantly rather than gradually? (Ideally we would like something that would only call for water when the level in the header tank dropped to a certain point, to prevent the pump running constantly.)

I'd be grateful for any suggestions (though 'rip it out and start again' might make me bang my head against the wall).

Space in the loft?
Second loft tank same size or a new larger one.
or two new larger tanks

up your internal storage to cope with the demand.
dont forget about strengthening the loft before you plant a few more hundred litres up there ;)

a pump is always going to have issues in your case imho

Hi there mfanwy i had a job with similar problem. And what i found is not only the well supply was to weak ti get to attic but the pressure was that low that it wasnt enough to activate most flow switches in some pumps. What i ended up using was a grundfos UPA 15-90 if i remember correctly but also had to put float switches and relays in attic as id linked an oil boiler with multifuel burner using nuetraliser so i had f&e tank aswell as cold feed tank so had separate wiring feeds but worked brilliant. The grundfoss is same size and style as heating pump. But bit fancier.

Defo go bigger storage as pump may bleed it dry if well pressure not good enough to keep up with demand.

Go for larger storage in the house.

Pumps are good at pushing, not so good at sucking.
The pump would need to be at the first storage tank outside.

How big is the Ballcock / fill valve on the tank in the house?
Is it a standard 1/2" Ball valve?
What orifice is in it H.P white or L.P Red?
Try L.P first.
You may be loosing flow there, consider trying an oversize valve/s.

1" are quite expensive, try twin 3/4".

I would second the lager store.

mmm lager

Lager-beer.jpg

Similar plumbing topics

see same. below on this as some one has had...
Replies
Views
  • Question
That's great - thank you
Replies
Views
  • Question
How high is the hill 40m as that will add 4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
hi have been a plumber for 50 years this month...
Replies
Views
  • Question
The basin & bathtaps will be pretty old to be...
Replies
Views
Back