Infra red heating | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Infra red heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have a job to price, 4 new build, 3 storey houses with 1 bathroom and 2 ensuite.
i had riced for a system boiler, 210 litre pressurised cyl and rads.
electritian is now pushing the builder towards infra red panel heaters and electric heaters.
i understand how the heater panels will work, but hot water! They say you fit one to each bathroom, this will provide all hot water! They say it's about the size of an electric shower box and works from a 13 amp supply.

ive told the builder to stay clear, as simply physics would say you can't raise water temp that fast with so little energy.

has anyone else heard anything about these? I can't find anything on the web. Apparently the water heaters are due for approval in the uk in February, so little info about!

the company is e. Rads.
looking on line they seem similar to some made by logicon

Filling a bath will take forever and the showers will be pants!
The new all singing electric rads are supposed to be pretty good but an unvented cylinder has to beat an electric water heater hands down on performance & running costs

I have only installed an electric solution when gas is not available. Sure they are cheaper to install, but the running costs and comfort are not a patch and as mentioned already, filling a bath off a 13A supply is basically an immersion heater into a large tank.lol There are small under sink solutions that will do sinks and the like and I have used them and they are very good. but a bath is something else. I would expect the builder will have more difficulty selling a property with this heating solution, rather than a pukka central heating boiler, combi or system, running on gas.

I have only installed an electric solution when gas is not available. Sure they are cheaper to install, but the running costs and comfort are not a patch and as mentioned already, filling a bath off a 13A supply is basically an immersion heater into a large tank.lol There are small under sink solutions that will do sinks and the like and I have used them and they are very good. but a bath is something else. I would expect the builder will have more difficulty selling a property with this heating solution, rather than a pukka central heating boiler, combi or system, running on gas.
Completely agree.
looking at the heaters, they use (allegedly) half of the kw than a rad to hate a given space, but IMO gas is 1/3 of the cost of electricity per kw. So they will be more expensive to run ( if my maths is correct)

Most they could be of a 13a feed is 3kw
To get 30kw if instant water would need about 125amp or a pair of GHD ceramic hair straighteners :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you Chuck. Very much appreciated
Replies
Views
I tried it when the heating reached thermostat...
Replies
Views
Yeah I think there was loose wiring in the...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Back