Inset/undermount/recessed/semi-recessed/vanity/head explosion | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Inset/undermount/recessed/semi-recessed/vanity/head explosion in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I need to replace this cracked plastic basin for an old gent.

He is very old and I imagine he'd prefer something as similar as possible with regards to usage (less so with appearances.) Therefore two tap holes so he can use same taps and with a facility for a plug and chain type waste.

The current one is a slightly odd shape, not exactly oval. I started off looking for square ones as I thought if I went for slightly larger oval shape there might still be a risk of a gap showing somewhere due to the original's odd shape.

But the search is doing my head in. Not sure of the name of what I'm actually searching for and then when I thought I'd found one it was for a company with loads of scathingly bad reviews.

I just want to find a square (or shape that will definetly work), two-tap hole, plug and chain basin which has a supporting rim and fixings that allows it to be mounted like the one in the picture after cutting a slightly larger hole.

Or if there is a easier and better solution staring me in the face, what might it be?

The original is 470mm wide and 390mm deep and there is a 110mm of worktop around it in each direction.

Any help would be appreciated..

rsz_img_0252.jpgrsz_img_0251.jpg

watertight have a look at Your Bathroom Store h.m.james&sons. there is a basin that would suit 500x430 2 tap hole £142.70+vat

Thanks Steve. Found a couple similar to that but they all seem accurately oval if you know what I mean whereas the original sort of steps out at the back of it's oval. It'd prob be fine but what do you reckon, would the fact the new one is bigger mean there won't be a gap showing anywhere?

can you not just refit a new top and cut to suit the new basin?

There's more of the same surface elsewhere in bathroom and I won't find a match. But could be a last resort. Although I'm always worried someone might have stuck tiles to the wall with blue tack and tiles to worktop with superglue.

Infact I one today where a basin had been stuck to tiles with what looked like silicone and I suppose it must have bee silicone but the grip was utterly ridiculous. Had to break tiles to get basin off in the end and even when it was off I had to use big grips to wrench bits of tiles off back of basin.

yes a larger oval should cover any gaps, if there is a small gap just make sure it is at the back and fill it with silicone

Infact I one today where a basin had been stuck to tiles with what looked like silicone and I suppose it must have bee silicone but the grip was utterly ridiculous. Had to break tiles to get basin off in the end and even when it was off I had to use big grips to wrench bits of tiles off back of basin.
sounds like they used sticks like to me

Cussons Imperial Leather ... that takes me back a few years (decades if I'm honest).

Oh, yes! Of course! I'm one for re-cutting the top out too - it was my first thought but seems like others have suggested this first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Brilliant, thanks KoP - I'll give it a go and...
Replies
Views
yes because when the basin is stuck down you...
Replies
Views
S
You've gone far too far. Get a g3 ticketed boy...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back