Installing a mains pump | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Installing a mains pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andy44

Hello all

I am thinking of installing, getting a plumber that is, a mains pressure pump from screwfix to help with reduced pressure during certain times of the day/year and improve the flowrate. I have a water meter which was installed 16 years ago. I suppose most/all of the neighbours will also have water meters installed. I think these meters have a one way valve to protect neighbours and I am protected from inadvertently pulling their dirty water. If that's true I can install one or more of these pumps with no problems?

Am I on the right track? I have not called up any plumbers for advice and costs yet, wanted to know if it's doable first.

Thanks
Andy

Do you have an unvented cylinder?

Yes the old storage tank in the loft was disconnected many years ago and it is still there empty.

I was worried that if I fitted a cold water mains pump it might pull dirty water from other houses.

And on second thought I am thinking that houses higher up on the hill may already be fouling my water ? I do have very good drinking water filters but still.

Am I being too paranoid?

i would start by asking does anyone else in the street have the same problems? then get the water supplier to check the incoming main if theres not enough water there a pump will not help

Yes they do, and what's worse we live on a hill so the ones at the top are affected the most. I am not at the top but still way, way above the valley.

Do you think it is possible that with a pump I might get backflow from the houses above me on the hill? Is that possible?

So long as you still have positive main pressure in the highest part of hill I'd say no.
But in the event of a water main failure if someone at the top and bottom simultaneously opened a tap then who knows lol depends how old it is and if they covered all bases when the street was built ?

You can easily get a plumber to fit a back flow prevention device.
You may also have to get permission from the water undertaker (supplier) to fit a pump on your supply coming in off a main.
There are limits on what they allow pumps to flow litres per minute.
Have you not considered a large (depending on your needs) break tank at the highest point in you property (loft)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Probably all off one main hence your problem...
Replies
Views
P
Hi All, I have recently changed heating...
Replies
Views
Peter M
P
  • Question
Thank you for the replies. The issue is that...
Replies
Views
Have you got a photo of the sink at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A groundworker will normally do the whole...
Replies
Views
Back