Installing central heating flow and returns | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Installing central heating flow and returns in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
When most people install central heating do you pay any attention to which side of the rad you take your flow and returns to. I.e having the flow on the left to every rad. Or do you not bother as with bio-directional rad valves it doesn't matter?

flow trv side and on the right i normally put them unless theres something in the way

I don't notice. I use danfoss trv's, feel pipes when balancing and adjust valve to suit. Just don't put two flows or two returns.

I do try and put trv on rad side towards middle of room to sense temp better.

I also always put the wheel head side (often a TRV) on the right side of each radiator as most people are right handed. Except obviously if it would be in an awkward place.
I no longer worry about which side flow goes with these bi directional valves, but if I can I put flow to the TRV. It would mean crossing pipes sometimes for no real reason.

I Always try to put the Trv/Flow to the center of the room, or where its not blocked in a corner or behind a door and then put the Bleed on the most convenient end for when the customer fills the room with Wardrobes and you cant bleed the rad

I Always try to put the Trv/Flow to the center of the room, or where its not blocked in a corner or behind a door and then put the Bleed on the most convenient end for when the customer fills the room with Wardrobes and you cant bleed the rad

I always put the bleed nearest the door so I haven't got to walk as far to vent it!

Thanks I always used to follow my pipes to try get the flow to the same side on every rad. But as you say this is pointless now with bio directional valves. Guess I have just been wasting time. Is this how you use to have to pipe before bio directional valves?

Thanks I always used to follow my pipes to try get the flow to the same side on every rad. But as you say this is pointless now with bio directional valves. Guess I have just been wasting time. Is this how you use to have to pipe before bio directional valves?

Yes you used to have to pipe the flow to each rad to the TRV.
Before that most homes had few if any TRVs.
Do remember some rads have a baffle inside them to direct the flow to top of rad. The tall designer rads and column rads often are like that and therefore have a flow side.

I also always put the wheel head side (often a TRV) on the right side of each radiator as most people are right handed. Except obviously if it would be in an awkward place.
I no longer worry about which side flow goes with these bi directional valves, but if I can I put flow to the TRV. It would mean crossing pipes sometimes for no real reason.
I have flow to the right on most rads but as you said for a couple of rads it would mean crossing pipes. So these rads have return on the right, as said not a problem?

I have flow to the right on most rads but as you said for a couple of rads it would mean crossing pipes. So these rads have return on the right, as said not a problem?

Yes, not really a problem on bi directional valves if you have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Sometimes the connection point of the cylinder...
Replies
Views
https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/problems...
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
G
Could be one of a number. Need to know what...
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
Back