Installing New Mixer Tap & Valves | UK Plumbers Forums | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Installing New Mixer Tap & Valves in the UK Plumbers Forums area at Plumbers Forums

Hi, I'm installing a new mixer tap in my kitchen. The current setup doesn't have any isolation valves so was thinking I'd cut the pipe, install a couple of flat faced isolation valves and then screw the flexi's into that. My question is, should I be using PTFE on the threads, joining compound on the olives or nothing at all? Seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online.

Thank you

1. Never use PTFE on threads, except when the water seal is made on the threads themselves, which only happens on steel fittings, or on brass threaded fittings like bushes.
2. Compression fittings seal by compressing the olive between two sloping faces. This squashes the olive so that it forms a water tight seal with both the pipe and the fitting. On new fittings there is no real need for any additional sealant. On fittings that are being re-used it is prudent to wrap PTFE tape around the olive, or to use something like Jet Lube V2 or similar to accommodate minor marks or mis-alignments in previously used parts. Despite the foregoing, I use a little V2 even on new fittings, mainly to avoid any possibility of a call back.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Thank you. Good to know that there are options...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Thankyou, I have already installed a hot and...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I’ve got exactly same problem. I have to put...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Depends on the length of the flexi on the new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Maybe grohe
Replies
Views
Back