Installing new toilet | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Installing new toilet in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a large old end terraced house. The soil pipe from the bathroom is the original cast iron one, and is in very good condition. I want to install a downstairs toilet. There is a small room underneath the bathroom which is ideal for this. The cast iron soil pipe comes down the outside of this room.

Is it possible to join a modern pvc soil pipe into the original cast iron pipe? Or will I have to replace all of it?

Either/or really. You can cut a section out of the soil stack and fit a Plastic tee section in, easiest to use rubber couplings with jubilee clips. You can slide the coupling over the cast pipe and then slide it down over the joint. Then again you could replace the whole stack, not too difficult a job but definately needs two sets of hands.

You could cut stack and insert a new cast iron branch pipe. Probably require a short piece and a branch.

Then caulk a pvc to iron adapter into the branch.

But make sure the bend at the bottom of the stack is long radius and not a tight 90 degree or knuckle bend.

And make sure the distance from the center line of the branch to the invert of the horizontal drain is more than 450mm.

If not its a digging job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies chaps. I think i'd be more inclined to fit a new cast iron branch pipe. It had never occured to me that they would be still available.

Hi. Before cutting the piece out where you intend fitting the branch, check that the stack is supported above the cut. Also have a look at Time Saver the fitting are all spigots with clamps for jointing. Good Luck

never put plastic rubber branches etc below cast iron the iron above may be ok at the time but will it be in the future( you will be liable if it collapses in the future) this should be a no brainer but having lowerd plumbing standerds and training in this country only to be expected

Yes if I insert a new joint, it will not be plastic. This is a tall house and there is a lot of cast iron above where I need to bring the new soil pipe to. The pipe is currently soundly fixed, but there are only 3 fixing points above this point.

Yes if I insert a new joint, it will not be plastic. This is a tall house and there is a lot of cast iron above where I need to bring the new soil pipe to. The pipe is currently soundly fixed, but there are only 3 fixing points above this point.

What are the fixings ??, built in holderbats, or just pipenails, 3 fixings above where you want to break into the stack sound like 3 lengths plus, could be a good 100kg hanging there, I would double check the fixings and possibly lash the stack so that it does not fall, when the stack is cut to insert a new branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Thanks for the informative post. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
D
Very hard to determine what you can and can't...
Replies
Views
10 o’clock / 45 degrees would be better than...
Replies
Views
B
I wouldn't bother even trying. Water jetters...
Replies
Views
Back