Installing Outside Tap to Existing Pipework | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Installing Outside Tap to Existing Pipework in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

pyjamas27

I have some pipework at the back of my house which I'm told is for an Outside tap (see image). However I'm not sure what fitting is required to install a tap, the pipework looks to narrow for tap fittings available.
Any help welcome.
Pipe.jpg

This is a bit of a weird one because this isn't exactly an existing installation, but it's not really a new one either.

Therefore I would treat as a new installation. This means you need (inside the building) an isolating valve on that pipe, a drain off point so it can be drained down properly and a double check (non-return valve) before the outside tap. After that you need to cut down that external pipe (ideally renew that pipe because it should be sleeved through the wall), add an elbow pointing downwards with a short piece of pipe going into a 15mm - 1/2" Female Iron backplate elbow and finally a bib tap into that threaded female connection. Any external pipework must be insulated too. I'll try to find a schematic for you but have just run out of time right now.

Edit to add you could use one of these to take the pipe through the wall instead of using the backplate elbow Outside Tap Kit With Through Wall Back Plate / Flange | Stevenson Plumbing & Electrical Supplies

If any other forum member can find that and post it before I can that would be most welcome.

I would say that is something for the boiler or heating circuits not mains water

Are you 10000% sure it's mains cold water

Thanks guys. No I'm not sure, however there was storage heating in the property and the boiler was upstairs, so in some ways that wouldn't make sense. We had a new boiler installed in the kitchen recently and the plumber said it was for water. More investigation I think.
Thanks

I would say that is something for the boiler or heating circuits not mains water

Are you 10000% sure it's mains cold water

Yeah, that needs to checked "10,000%" as you say. My installation tips only apply if it really is a mains water supply of course. It's a strange way to terminate/cap a pipe installed for future use as a garden tap feed.

What would be the key differences between a draining facility and a water outlet?

One not connected to the mains water and being heating water

Looks like a place to drain you radiators mate. I would get it checked first to make sure that it is from the cold feed. Or you could try and trace it back yourself to where it goes inside the house

quite a few round mancheste rwith drain off for heating like this but tend not to stick out that far, a few of the old plumbers used to do it around south manchester.

" we had a new boiler installed in the kitchen "

?????

Please can you trace back the pipe inside the house and see what/where it connects to if possible, or is it all concealed on the other side of the wall? We gotta know where this thing goes!

It does have a drain cock on it and it's hanging out there in an unusual way. For all of our sanity at least let us know when you find out exactly what that pipe is for. If it really is a cold mains feed we can help you. If the pipe is concealed and it is mains cold then you'll need to "unconceal" it to work on it anyway.

It really does look like an overly long drain off point.

Please can you trace back the pipe inside the house and see what/where it connects to if possible, or is it all concealed on the other side of the wall? We gotta know where this thing goes!

It does have a drain cock on it and it's hanging out there in an unusual way. For all of our sanity at least let us know when you find out exactly what that pipe is for. If it really is a cold mains feed we can help you. If the pipe is concealed and it is mains cold then you'll need to "unconceal" it to work on it anyway.

It really does look like an overly long drain off point.

I'll check it out over the weekend and let you know.

Well! Surprise, surprise, it' doesn't go anywhere. no sign of it coming through the wall internally. Maybe it was fitted in preparation, Odd really. Hey ho! Thanks for your help everyone.

the old boiler was in thebathroom, not allowed anymore.

Not true. You can install in a bathroom, as long as the switched fused spur and controls are elsewhere, cross bonding is present & independent RCD protected circuit.

Sorry to hijack but I had a little panic when i read this, my 3yr old combi is in the bathroom but was fed from a fused spur in the kitchen next to it (bungalow). I rewired the kitchen to be on its own circuit and wanted the boiler on its own circuit too.

I had wondered why the boiler installers hadnt utilised the old redundant immersion circuit and fitted a fused spur. Needless to say that is where i rewired the boiler to.

Following this i had a new consumer fitted complete with RCD protection.

Your post made me panic until i realised that my boiler is in the bathroom but it is fitted in the airing cupboard complete with a door so in effect a separate room. Im assuming your quote relates to mounting switches on the wall in the actual bathroom, not a cupboard within it?

Last edited:

Similar plumbing topics

Ok I think I see what your saying mate, So...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I would of clipped the pipework but it is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Why is it outside? It will freeze and the...
Replies
Views
the op says no water in prv balloon so not prv...
Replies
Views
Just unscrew the plastic pushfit elbow and...
Replies
Views
Back