Insurance work | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Insurance work in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

P

princegoose

Hi, has anyone done any insurance work before? Been called out to look at an un occupied property which has smoke damage because of a fridge fire in the kitchen. need new gas hob and the radiants on the gas fire on the back boiler need replacing and was going to quote for a full service of the fire and boiler, is there anything I need to be wary of???

Last edited by a moderator:
they probably won't pay for the servicing. insurance companies hardly ever pay out what you want and seldom accept unnecessary work other than minimum required.

As I only did a visual inspection the customer was ok with me IDing the fire/back boiler, the smoke damage looked as likely to be spillage. I thought about quoting for a new boiler but didnt want to put the customer off. If I could get the back boiler and fire up and running with a service and some new radiants then I cant see the insurance company saying no.

itemize all works that in your opinion will need to be fixed and rectified and why, even the maybee work included in the quote but dont fabricate works that never exist, any other quotes will be picked up by the insurers as to why the competition havnt covered it. i love these jobs i always add 20% on top and cover it within the quote thus giving the best service and covering the unforseen ie cleaning soot deposits inc chemical cleaner from appliance £40. the insurers usually send a check in your name to the custard to give you upon completion.

A few years ago i was asked to cover some plumbing work for a building company (one of their plumbers was in hospital) who work directly for the insurance companies.
Was asked to go to an address and remove a radiator that had fallen off the wall.
Got to job and it was the hall rad, about a 6 x 6 double, had been fitted to plasterboard with screw ins which had just pulled through. The pipes were hep and fed from below and were fine, no leaks or kinks.
I was thinking i could just rehang this with spring toggles and it would be fine.
Speaking to the woman, she said the builders were coming out the next week. Strip the plasterboard from the full wall, re sheet, tape and fill, decorate full hall (wallpaper) new carpet etc etc.
I couldn't believe what i was hearing but went back about 2 weeks later to fit rad and yes it had all been done and some new skirting and painting and the carpet was being fitted the next day.
We are all paying for this through increased premiums and it happens all the time.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi RPM, Gasway were the first company i...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A...
Replies
Views
P
Tricky situation for you. Boiler shouldn't...
Replies
Views
Have you got more than CCN1? You would need...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Many thanks for the advice.
Replies
Views
Back