Integrating a Multi fuel Burner with a combi system etc. | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Integrating a Multi fuel Burner with a combi system etc. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetdrip

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Guys, I've been on the sniff for an age looking for information on how to go about integrating a, in my case, Greenstar junior 28i condensing boiler with a multi fuel burner.So either can run the rads and water systems.

I've come across this site: Heating Innovations homepage
H2 control system

Any thoughts from those with experience in doing such work not necessarily with the above instrumentation and control system would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Don't think you'll find many wood burners running on a sealed system? the h2 panel does not hydraulically separate the systems so might have an issue there.

a lot of the wood pellet boilers are ok but your non automated stoves and boilers will all be open vent unless there are a select few around that I am unaware of?

Last edited:
H2 panels are very good , but you would have to depressurise the system , put an F & E tank in and hope there is enough gravity pressure for the automatic boiler to work .

Don't think you'll find many wood burners running on a sealed system? the h2 panel does not hydraulically separate the systems so might have an issue there.

a lot of the wood pellet boilers are ok but your non automated stoves and boilers will all be open vent unless there are a select few around that I am unaware of?

Didn't say it be sealed I said can be used with unvented cylinder

You would have to fit a thermal store to make it work as you are asking. Solid fuel direct into the store, combi indirectly into the store, dhw through a coil or plate heat exchanger and heating out of the store. All in all not worth it. You would be better off with a dry stove supplementing the space heating and leave the combi as is as, even with free wood it would take a long time to recoup the costs of the install for the stove to be able to heat the hot water and radiators.

With Nostrum on this one. Thermal store will separate the two heating appliances as the solid fuel must be open vented and your gas boiler sealed. Because the solid fuel appliance is an uncontrolled heat source, you may have to put a heat dump radiator in as well.

Consider the mess as well, dust from fire, ash pans and ash, fuel and drying space. Lots of people get multi fuel stoves and stop using them.... Especially people who live in towns!! Could be a very expensive novelty !

I'm with my learned friend Norstrum, Thermal(sludge bucket)store or Heat Bank.
All down to how much wood & at what price really. In a rural area I'd fit a multi-fuel appliance & burn any old carp on it.

Thanks for your input guys.I think I'll just have the burner running separate from the system, as a room heater.Haven't decided on which burner to buy, but edging toward the Stovax Stockton 5 which pushes out 4.9kw max, enough for my lounge.There's two going at auction on ebay.So I'll keep an eye on them just to see what a used, but good, one goes for.
A friend has just purchased a Coalbrookedale Severn burner: barn find, cost him £45.He's been quoted £150-£190 for the sand blasting.Plus there'e new glass, seals and grates to fit.The farmer loaded it onto the back of his small van using a forklift. I made the mistake of agreeing to help him move it from his van to a shed on his allotment.Just the two of us to shift it.What a nightmare.
Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
I have not checked yet in the HETAS Green Book, but I would strongly advise you attempt to fit a HETAS approved appliance, by a HETAS approved installer who will register it for building Control purposes. Personally I have a Clearview Pioneer stove, its quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hi , At the risk of hijacking this thread I am...
Replies
Views
steve wake
S
Look at the HETAS web site.
Replies
Views
Hello All- (Usual caveats apply: I am the...
Replies
Views
Think the appropriate phrase for this should...
Replies
Views
C
Thanks again for the replies, very useful...
Replies
Views
chrisreboot
C
Back