Internal Leak, will the boiler still draw cold water when turned off? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Internal Leak, will the boiler still draw cold water when turned off? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

M

Matt Carney

In April 2018 I had a water meter installed at my tenancy property (Not a property magnate, just had to move out of the area and couldn't sell it) the same time I had a new Greenstar 30i boiler, stopcock and old back boiler and immersion tank removed.

There is a small pass noticeable through the water meter, approx. 3 litres per hour. The leak dial turns slightly, then stops, and does this repetitively, in this fashion. I've done this even isolating all appliances including toilet, sink, washing machine etc.

The pipe from the meter to the stopcock is fine. No movement on the meter at all.

Before I get a plumber in to pull the ground floor floors up, is there any way my new boiler could be drawing cold water from the system after its been switched off? This is the only thing I haven't isolated. I don't want to mess about with the boiler incase I gas the tenant!

In April 2018 I had a water meter installed at my tenancy property (Not a property magnate, just had to move out of the area and couldn't sell it) the same time I had a new Greenstar 30i boiler, stopcock and old back boiler and immersion tank removed.

There is a small pass noticeable through the water meter, approx. 3 litres per hour. The leak dial turns slightly, then stops, and does this repetitively, in this fashion. I've done this even isolating all appliances including toilet, sink, washing machine etc.

The pipe from the meter to the stopcock is fine. No movement on the meter at all.

Before I get a plumber in to pull the ground floor floors up, is there any way my new boiler could be drawing cold water from the system after its been switched off? This is the only thing I haven't isolated. I don't want to mess about with the boiler incase I gas the tenant!

Yes, but this could be a boiler leak in a few different ways. I’m not going to be giving pointers so best getting your gas safe registered engineer in to look at the boiler 1st.

The 'pulsing' nature of it suggests something passing after the pressure builds. So in my opinion it's more likely to be plastic if you have any. Any underfloor - possibly mice?

Similar plumbing topics

It's a sealed system so if its leaking from...
Replies
Views
Yes you should be able to cut them off in...
Replies
Views
I
  • Question
Not normally as the stop tap is before the...
Replies
Views
D
2 of my properties tenants have notified me...
Replies
Views
Dany Michael
D
It seems to be a case of having to watch and...
Replies
Views
Back