Iron to copper pipe seal - replacing Stopcock | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Iron to copper pipe seal - replacing Stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silvergrowler

Any advice on how to seal an iron to copper adapter onto an iron incoming mains water pipe in a house (1959 built in this case) in order to replace a stopcock?

The stopcock (Iron to copper) was seized and so had to be removed and a new stopcock fitted, but it appears almost impossible to seal a new stopcock onto the Iron (female) connector without a minor weep developing. An alternate solution would be to fit an adapter (male 1/2" iron to 15mm compression).

I understand hemp shouldn't be used anymore with sealant but are there alternatives? is PTFE tape better. For jointing compounds are Boss Supergreen or Jet Lube V2 plus OK or are there better products for this? Should a washer be used between the flange on a male adapter and the end face of the female pipe as the adapter thread doesn't seem to go to the end of the adapter.

Any Tips? e.g does the pipe thread need to be dry etc.

Is a ball valve suitable/legal as a stopcock, or do they have to be the sort with washers in?

Any suggestions would be helpful as the leaks are driving me and the plumber who is doing the job mad!

Thanks

use ptfe tape. dont mix iron and copper fittings. fit a normal stop tap if possible as it gives more control over flow rates.

Last edited:
Perhaps the builder sorry plumber hasn't come across iron pipe before.

probably inexperienced in dealing with these things, we all need to learn and ask advise.

use ptfe tape. dont mix iron and copper fittings.
PTFE did the job. Thanks.

If Copper and Iron shouldn't be mixed (in this case like for like replacement iron to copper- the old stopcock was copper direct into Iron unless it just looked like copper but then it was connected to copper) then for my own interest how should the incoming Iron pipe to the stopcock be attached to all the copper inside the house? is there some sort of special connector or isolating bush to be used? Theres no iron piping in the house just the rising main. :confused:

Thanks for replies the plumber has the qualifications but not much experience with Iron so we just wanted to check.

I do little thing like replacing washers and taps myself but jobs like this are WAY beyond me.

i'm sure the stopcock would have been brass which is fine for separating iron and copper imho.

i'm sure the stopcock would have been brass which is fine for separating iron and copper imho.

The adapter used was described as male iron to copper conversion so may well be brass and not copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

• Winner
  • Question
What a great and informative post! Thanks for...
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
Looks like your attempting to put a plain 3/4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
To join galvanised water services without...
Replies
Views
Thanks for all the helpful advice chaps. I...
Replies
Views
T
You can buy an adapter from gauge fitting to...
Replies
Views
Back