Iron Toilet pan connection | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Iron Toilet pan connection in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kirby85

Hi,

Our toilet pan connection has just started to leak at the bottom on the toilet side (See pic). Where can I find a new connector for this? Is it an unusual piece? I'd like to do the job today (it's our only bog) but haven't been able to find anything in screfix, toolstation or b&q. Maybe I'll have to wait for my local plumb shop to open again tomorrow..

Cheers,

Simon

_2MDIC1zKeNEK8pj23UPTYqv2R9ae9NiXDFYhgImJ-kUCVHlGTx1R-ER6WWI_8BfhXV45rdROLP63TC2fEIOw5f_gPImQfEIT2rZWEx5xzS7Z9RE8KtQE4sLmhvgoLDuZ1WKAbxe97pyNws16vDWsC6wRa0HmWYAt0tFN1pIjf5lsHYilvN5btTMARVcO_mRorIryg2Y34W_ILCnPl9OrOG0op1sesYYRrfYttTdoTwtLPOa0tju6QC8PMQZyk6x5G0qIWq-IjydbFw2eIezkDInT683bwYlqcqXazGzvzZN9vb_m-41R8h8zTa4Gsrary4kAuySBr20m6BqIbEUs4lmupbv2KCcpMOiUH3-OprbT5dlIrPzCDc5KGS8dH5o3Q9zCAOUfiwufnwjybSj9XEXsXbPjYb1WLy6ro17W7TIuM7J-ii6cIMUCvcnnnIGXl-9r2d5sjGJ1Ub2JaBm6he7aPRZNbK1O6X743kauwIDx2IbBksKcJZOKShK8qWaK2NIt4ZvRS88GL79qe4v6d1MJRZ8xEAWtAnwWPYhCRg=w975-h731-no

I've done it on a similar pipe using a genuine Multikwik into the smaller diameter bore of the pipe, but you'd need to check the I/D of the pipe to make sure you get the right one. I doubt you'd bother trying to make the seal at the 130mm point - I'd go a tad further back.

This guy seems to have done something similar in a bumbly sort of way, but at least you see how those old pan connectors are made internally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6hghJ_2gFA

You need a pan connector and an Extention to go between the pan connector and the cast waste pipe which ideally should be cut nearer the wall, screw fix will have both

If he's not up for cutting it, he might just find he has space to do what I suggested, but I think what you suggest is better practice, kirkgas. I'm just assuming he doesn't have a grinder and won't want to do it by hand :)

I wouldn't start DIY plumbing jobs you haven't got all the parts for on a Sunday afternoon unless this is toilet number 2.

Cheers for the link Rich2013, it's useful to see inside the fittings before I remove the loo. So you think I should use an extended connector so the seal is in the 110mm section.. makes sense, looks like there's more parts for that.

Accepting that I don't yet know what the I/D of the pip is yet, do you think the "Macfit Flexible WC Connector Straight 410mm" from toolstation might be suitable? If the pipes not exactly aligned I can see a bit of 'flex' being useful to make a good seal.

kirkgas I like the idea of grinding off the end of the iron pipe. It would make it look neater. I'll have a think about it when I've got the loo out of the way. I don't really want to get my grinder all covered in ... tho

Just hope that the crack doesn't go further along through the wall then you will have problems.

I'll have a think about it when I've got the loo out of the way. I don't really want to get my grinder all covered in ... tho

welcome to our word :D

If you are cutting back and not trying to fit inside the pipe as is, so long as it is suitable for the spigot of your WC and the internal bore of the pipe, I'd say it [the Toolstation thing] looks like a strong possibility.

If you aren't cutting back, I think a standard length connector would do.

Though I would still prefer a genuine Multikwik in my own house (Multikwik was sold to McAlpine, but product is subtly different). Not many people stock them though as they cost a little more.

Sorry for delayed reply - power cut made me lose internet.

you just need a new multiquick take out the pan pull the multi of the pan go to merchant and get a new one then reverse

Hi, Thanks for the replies.

So i'm getting there. Sort of anyway. I went with the Mc Alpine part I mentioned above. It looks alright but i'm not totally convinced. Think I should've just gone with a standard WC connector tbh.

Anyway the old connector is out and the pipe and the pan are cleaned up with a screwdriver and wirewool as best as I can. I decided not to cut the pipe back as I figured the new connector could just slide inside along the pipe to where it needs to be given the pan position. Now i've realised that getting the connector seals to slide that far inside the pipe is really bloody difficult. I've tried a couple of times but the seals get stuck after a couple of inches. Any tips would be welcome! I've tried gallons on fairy liquid to no avail so far.

Failing that the miss's might have to pee in a bucket tonight till I get a standard connector tomorrow! I won't be popular tonight! :behead:

Why not just call someone out who knows what they are doing, instead of wasting time and money running around buying the wrong thing and still finishing up with a leaking seal

Yep, I wouldn't recommend this particular job to anyone! Go find a pro on this one for sure.

My problem is I just can't help giving things a go. The connection I made did seal in the end so we can at least use the loo. Problem is we have to flush it with a bucket tonight. Tomorrow i'll fit the right length connection and legs crossed we will have a fully functional loo back.

Cheers!

I'll post back

You'll have your legs crossed if you don't get it sealed :) Sorry couldn't resist :)

Good luck for tomorrow.

I replaced the connection today with a standard multikwik part as suggested above. It looks to have done the job. I'm not fully happy as the geometry of the pan and pipe is probably on the limit of that connector but time will tell. The part seems to be decent quality at least. I'd like to be brave enough to grind off the pipe and fit the flexible connector but I'm too nervous of it cracking the casting. I've no experience if cutting cast iron and not sure my piddly little grinder would be up to the task. The miss's is just happy to have a flushing, not leaking toilet again!

Thanks again for the replies.

Simon

deLesMGP8G7vOVn1N6XT6JF-o6emct8XICmjmESW6bqGRKN_jwCDVVYdk9JAJN3GIL4qyEPqqZqwHXjmWJj6ICtoX0FpOOTNs2SQ0-RWZsrzlaZLOoRgE0NfE-XY5IoE5F--rxnChXkKw1GOo1Xpe1dV4pamcyIRedyTev0DxLJwRa2dG-u4yPfjpFAcPW9cysjvkvt9h6Ch77zIpOlN3vFa739b2vXKJTrFdjj2-Fk7IbjUf5eBe9lZ6yvbidKsdoqusEnf7GFOYqqvMhfxq1JLHA9y-7yq0Fdm96y4xjjt1G7XJSQeQFDvw0Tse1hvYbLuOBqdeaS6kwhFWowl5wrWtjGveLeei_kZlEvBz-J6WjrF-6mVbG0-BYSrIY0yENvEi8iD3AZmSh8SFu7e4uSx-EuWqut_hjp5l8SdlGiegorRp7PR-w-9xAXwXZZx8gyY_zA-88y6sEju1eGvIRwxAjaUzHQHTMnBCxfSIzBUThK6OS2BEkMb8c8Xo9d_GNCRiNxJQO64k1ridzC5anLXJgL22LI1WgYO3A99U78=w720-h540-no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Well persevered, it is always worth the extra...
Replies
Views
Thanks for the reply and the suggestion for...
Replies
Views
Thanks for all the replies everyone, and my...
Replies
Views
Should have it done in a day. If you’re a bit...
Replies
Views
Hey what do I know. Only fit em and listen to...
Replies
Views
Welder
W
Back