Is it possible to use the heat in a conservatory to heat domestic hot water? | Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is it possible to use the heat in a conservatory to heat domestic hot water? in the Plumbing Zone | All Other Country's area at Plumbers Forums

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Good evenings,

I had call from a neighbour of mine wanting to know is he could harness the heat energy built up in his conservatory and use it to heat his domestic hot water.
Is there some kind of heat exchanger system available?
I am going round tomorrow to see him in the morning, I just wondered is anyone had come across such a device.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi Phil,

Not that i know off after 30 years in this game, you can get heat from below ground outside but just remember conservatories are pretty cold in the winter months.:)

Upvote 0
Strange Kes 36, he sounded pretty sure such an item exists but if you've never heard of one in 30 years then.........??

I was speaking to a guy in Plumb Centre and he's heard of people using a radiator - painting it black, positioning it in direct sunlight and connecting it to the HWSC with a small pump. Does this sound do- able?. He said it is quite effective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi phil,

So painting a radiator black in direct sunlight, connecting this to the hot water cylinder via a pump. This sounds like a way to breed legionaires to me.
Surely this could only be effective in the summer months?
Personnally i wouldnt do it.:)

Take care mate.

Upvote 0
In any system such as ground source heat or solar panels (that i know of) the heat the system gains from the source is only the start. In ground source the flow heats up to 11 degrees celcius this on its own wouldnt do much but it then goes though a compressor which works in the opposite way to a refridgerator and gets it up to 60 plus degrees celcius so maybe something like this would be needed for it to work.

Upvote 0

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
What type of cylinder do you have?
Replies
Views
  • Question
https://myenergi.info/viewtopic.php?p=87432#p87432
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
  • Question
I agree. (I hold domestic, commercial and...
Replies
Views
Well that doesn't help at all with the question
Replies
Views
Back