is my boiler worth repairing phone call | Boilers | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss is my boiler worth repairing phone call in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

dont know if just me but i am getting fed up with the calls where you go and look at a boiler and diagnose for the customer but its not worth repairing so you quote and never get the job even though you spent 2 hrs looking at it for them for free. keep thinking of charghing a call out for the initial look at the boiler but this could loose me work what do others do in situations like this.

ant

I stopped doing the free diagnosis bit. I now charge £50, if you want me to fix it Ill knock the £50 off the price.

When people ask me about it I always say its not a callout charge but £40 covers you for the 1st hour and is a diagnostic cost. If it can be fixed there and then it will only be £40. I found since I have explained it like that I am getting more people agree for me to come out

When people ask me about it I always say its not a callout charge but £40 covers you for the 1st hour and is a diagnostic cost. If it can be fixed there and then it will only be £40. I found since I have explained it like that I am getting more people agree for me to come out

Thats exactly what I do, more often than not they decline though.

i used to charge a call out till someone suggested on another thread a while calling it a diagnostic.

since then i've called it a diagnostic fee including 1st hours labour far more successful.

i only go to friends, family and a trusted customers free of charge.

Dont ever do anything for free you have got to cover your costs and you probably gave them all the advice they needed to get someone to do it at the weekend really cheap. I dont work for a huge company but a large local company and nothing is ever done free of charge except for their close friends and family.

Also never call it a call out as people think the 1st hour is added as well just say the 1st hour will cost you £50 or whatever you charge.

When somebody phones and says their boilers broken down can you come then I'm going out to fix it, not tell them whats wrong with it. As soon as the van points in their direction it's gonna cost em. But if you are having issues than the 'diagnostic fee' is a way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

Hope with your case you reported it to trading...
Replies
Views
J
I've seen a few with boxed in flues and they...
Replies
Views
Can you measure the flowrate from a HW tap, if...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Anyone know of a repair service for Axpert...
Replies
Views
Back