Is the install of my Gas Hob safe? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is the install of my Gas Hob safe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am looking to rent out my house and it has recently obtained a gas safety certificate last month for the combi boiler and gas cooker hob appliances. The estate agents have said 2 other gas engineers since then have deemed my gas hob installation unsafe for the following reasons;
"Regarding the gas hob, I have had both of my Gas engineers look at a picture of it and they have both confirmed they would not have passed in on a Landlords Gas Safety Certificate. The reason being it has to have at least 650mm of non-combustible surface behind it to prevent a fire. Also if the window was opened it would blow the gas out potentially causing a gas leak or worse. In order for us to let the property this must be removed as it is a serious safety issue."
I attach a picture of the kitchen, showing gas cooker hob and window locations, and would be grateful if anyone can confirm whether this is factual and my gas cooker installation is indeed unfit for use.
Many thanks.

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 256
they aint got a clue, report them!!
it needs at least 740 above the hob, i would condem it.

Whoever fitted that gas hob in a location like that is a fool!!!!
Either move it or fit an electric hob.

Defos unsafe. Might never have been a problem but rules is rules

Thanks for the replies.
Makes sense that it is deemed unsafe. I'll get the hob taken out and put in an electric hob away from the window. I'll also have a quick word with the person who has gave me a gas safety certificate 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for the replies.
Makes sense that it is deemed unsafe. I'll get the hob taken out and put in an electric hob away from the window. I'll also have a quick word with the person who has gave me a gas safety certificate 2 weeks ago.

if you dont mind how much did you pay for the certificate?

I purchased the property 2 weeks ago, the vendor left me the certificate on completion so I'm not sure how much he paid for it. The check was made in March 2016. The gas engineer who carried out the checks in this instance holds a valid gas safety licence. I usually pay £45 for a 2 appliance check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

What about a metal blanking plate?
Replies
Views
Outside of using a gas-safe LPG engineer, do I...
Replies
Views
If you have the manufacturers instructions, go...
Replies
Views
Have you got more than CCN1? You would need...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here //...
Replies
Views
Back