Is there a reason drain would be loose fit to soil stack? | Boilers | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is there a reason drain would be loose fit to soil stack? in the Boilers area at Plumbers Forums

Hello

full disclosure, I am a DIYer.

When reinstalling a sink after having it out to refloor, the waste pipe came disconnected from the soil stack.

On inspection it seems to be a solvent weld fitting, but doesn't seem to have been solvent welded. It has been like that since the house was built 15 years ago with no apparent leaks.

is there a good reason it wouldn’t have been, or should I solvent weld it back on?

pic of the soil stack fitting attached.

thanks in advance

chris

Attachments

• 539DF621-6A9A-4EFF-8431-7ED44E740AA5.jpeg
    539DF621-6A9A-4EFF-8431-7ED44E740AA5.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 42
Looks like a cut bit of pipe (needs deburring) connected to a solvent-weld socket on the pipe you have removed? Solvent weld fittings should always be glued. Perhaps it was a primitive method of allowing the pipe to be removed to clear potential blockages?

Looks like a cut bit of pipe (needs deburring) connected to a solvent-weld socket on the pipe you have removed? Solvent weld fittings should always be glued. Perhaps it was a primitive method of allowing the pipe to be removed to clear potential blockages?
Hi Ric

Thank you for the reply.

Yes a solvent weld fitting I think - see additional picture attached.

On closer inspection it looks like it may well have been leaking all that time… a lot of gunk on the end of the connection - better picture attached.

Presumably correct course of action would be to solvent weld on, or do you think I different fitting type?

Would be a rubbish method for deblocking anyway, as it is boxed in! I had to cut some extra out to get to it, which is fine as we have raised the floor and will all be hidden by new boxing anyway.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 0CB8E0A1-7AC1-404D-96FD-A1843A99407F.jpeg
    0CB8E0A1-7AC1-404D-96FD-A1843A99407F.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 27
  • E2A520C6-E0D4-4C28-A239-DEF6C9D3D0C1.jpeg
    E2A520C6-E0D4-4C28-A239-DEF6C9D3D0C1.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 27
On inspection it seems to be a solvent weld fitting, but doesn't seem to have been solvent welded. It has been like that since the house was built 15 years ago with no apparent leaks.
Joints in drains should be airtight and proved with a pressure test. You've just found some sloppy workmanship; there was plenty of it around in 2006.

I used to do commercial buildings where everything was solvent weld.
Over the years I've found Solvent joints not glued and not leaking after many years.
I've found plenty of solvent joints with some glue that pull apart easy.
Also some solvent joints that had clearly been leaking from day 1 of install and some had self sealed with grease.

Re the joint, Yes it needs glueing as it's almost a guarantee it'll leak now if you don't. (Mr Sod or Mr Murphy will confirm that)

Similar plumbing topics

Hi @Jim Goodenough I do have some yes , I did...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm connecting a long run of 50mm...
Replies
Views
Right one looks like it will fit in the socket...
Replies
Views
Yes sorry :D noticed I missed liquid off
Replies
Views
I need an adaptor to connect the waste pipe to...
Replies
Views
Back