Is there enough work out there in the south-east and London?? | Gaining Plumbing Experience | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is there enough work out there in the south-east and London?? in the Gaining Plumbing Experience area at Plumbers Forums

M

Marty32

Hello folks

I am thinking about getting back on the tools after coming off them for 2 years and getting formal qualifications i.e. Citi & Guilds and NVQ 2, but after phoning around some plumbing and heating firms and engineers to get some experience and confidence back they all seem to be saying they have no work and have never been so quiet and that people are getting laid off and firms going bust due to immigrants doing the work for pennies.

I don't wanna go through college for a year or two if there isn't anything to come out to?

Anyone from London and South-east having these problems??

Many thanks

Mart

Hi mate,

I am nr Croydon and to be fair it is very quiet. Are you looking to sub contract or do your own thing? All the guys that I know are also quiet and having to do things that there not overly keen on doing like tiling, for me thats not an option as I am absolutely shocking at it. I'm normally a subbie and there is stuff out there but not enough to allow you to pick and choose. General rate for subbie work at the mo is £10 - £13.50 per hour or to £18 if your GS and mega lucky.

Good luck my friend

Thanks for this matey

Well to be honest I never really had enough experience to go solo as I used the fast track skills centre which in hindsight was a waste of time because I didn't get to do an apprenticeship with a qualified plumbing and heating firm or engineer. To my credit and without trying to be big headed, I think I done pretty well for what I learnt and installed a lot of stuff confidently.

I got laid off in Aug 2008 as my firm went under then worked for a maintenance firm but they took the p1ss big time i.e. 7am start and 6-6.30pm finish with no time for a small break.

In a nutshell I would like to get a college course but need to due it in the evening around work commitments and to get an apprenticeship with someone? Any ideas or contacts?

P.S: If you personally have any work I'd be happy to come and work for free to get some confidence back?

Many thanks fella

Mart

well i've had two jobs in the last two weeks. been delivering hundreds of leaflets to previously uncovered roads in my area trying to generate more work, no calls yet but hoping.

Like the 2 Steve's say its quite, when your missus starts asking whats happened on loose women and homes under the hammer your know your quiet. In terms of courses try Carshalton College, I completed my gas there and did rate them.

I'll save your details Mart and if anything that warrents a 2 man team comes about i'll give you a shot no worries, just cant at the moment, sorry mate

I used to work for a bromley firm they was pretty big, but they laid alot of people off last xmas. But atm it is pretty dead for some reason.

Last edited:
Hadn't realised it was so slow down south. Think it's turned a bit of a corner up here, haven't been this busy for a while. Away on my jolly's middle of July and busy till then and already go two weeks worth sorted for August. Haven't had time to do any subbying on the oil side. Not complaining though especially when so many are saying it's slow.

Hope it changes soon for you down there.

We're based in Fareham, Hampshire and we're very busy at the moment, to the stage were as much as I hate it we're having to turn smaller work away just now. Been consistently busy since January, a huge difference from last year to be honest.

Similar plumbing topics

Hello thanks for your post and joining the...
Replies
Views
Good I am looking for a work shadowing...
Replies
Views
Good evening I am looking for a work...
Replies
Views
Thanks very much Sav - I've just sent you a pm...
Replies
Views
Back