Is this a blocked primary heat exchanger? | Plumbers Arms | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this a blocked primary heat exchanger? in the Plumbers Arms area at Plumbers Forums

Jock Spanners

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Evening all,
What a nightmare day I've just had! I got called to a house yesterday where the tennants were complaining that the downstairs rads were only luke warm. It's a long, thin, terraced house with the DuoTec at the back in a bedroom. The boiler was kettling, shutting down and restarting. The upstairs rads were warm and the hot water worked okay. I suspected a blockage so we drained everything down and flushed a lot of water through. It was clean as a whistle. I rang Baxi Technical who said we needed an engineer visit under the warranty (it's four years old).

When the engineer turned up first thing this morning and I called round to see him. He told me the boiler was fine and it was down to a blockage in the pipework. He was adament. So we spent all of today dismantling the house, cutting the system into sections and trying to isolate the blockage. We had hot flow to the living room downstairs but return at the boiler was cold. I was conviced it was in the return so we worked back along it right to the bedroom. In the end I had a 30 metre loop of speedfit and no rads. When I fired the boiler up it overheated and shut down quickly before any hot water reached the return on the boiler. I rang Baxi Technical again and the engineer said he thought it was the divertor valve because when I removed the head and depressed the pin the circulating temperature dropped from 70 down to 50. So we put everything back together and changed the divertor valve cartridge. I also checked the gauze filter on the return isolator. When fired up it did exactly the same again. I now have family facing Christmas without any heating and Baxi aren't coming back until Tuesday. Could this be a partially blocked primary heat exchanger?

Pump ok ?????? As normally if upstairs is warm down cool pump

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve used the screwfix single check before now...
Replies
Views
Update on this post I finally got round to...
Replies
Views
There is 6 pipes under the boiler and one goes...
Replies
Views
E
new boiler. fit a baxi. its not repairable
Replies
Views
Since it became normal for trv's to be bi...
Replies
Views
Back