Is this item any good for starters? see Link in post | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this item any good for starters? see Link in post in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest its personal prefrence, doesnt look a bad starter kit, as you say tho dont think the quality will be very good but you never know, why not write a list of things you need and take it to your local merchants and see if they will do you a deal, most would appreciate the business.

It looks expensive for the quality of the tools tbh. The bahco socket set is good but I think the rest looks a bit DIY.

You would be better buying items individually really,half of those tools would end up in a skip after a couple of uses I reckon.

Cheers guys think i'll steer clear not going to sacrifice quality to save a few quid

i agree the quality doesnt look that good you should have some idea of what you need as basic kit from your training what you need in the field will vary by what type of work your going to do a boiler engineers kit will be different to a meter changers kit
i would recomend the regin solid plastic u gauge its exspensive but worth the money as its virtually spill proof and cant blow the fluid out if you dont lose it it will last years
these days i find i use my socket set a lot more buy a decent little quarter drive one .invaluble.

these days i find i use my socket set a lot more buy a decent little quarter drive one .invaluble.

Me to, tho can not imagine what the guys I started with would say:eek:
Remember turning up one morning with a collection of "tools" donated by neighbours, in a metal tool box with a set of ring spanners amongst it.
The politest remark was "Going to service the van are we!!"

i agree the quality doesnt look that good you should have some idea of what you need as basic kit from your training what you need in the field will vary by what type of work your going to do a boiler engineers kit will be different to a meter changers kit
i would recomend the regin solid plastic u gauge its exspensive but worth the money as its virtually spill proof and cant blow the fluid out if you dont lose it it will last years

Yeah i have a good idea of the things i need so should be ok not going to scrimp by and buy poor quality stuff.

Already got my socket set lol i saw how useful that has been just through training! :)

Always difficult to know what you'll need when you start and how frequently you'll use the various tools. One of my spanners cost me at least £25 while my AA box of screwdrivers and other things (like magnet, miniature screwdrivers, allen key fittings, miniature socket set, etc) cost me £10 and has proved exceptional value. My drill cost £200 but is still going strong and if I'd bought a £25 model it would have been binned long ago as not being able to do some of the jobs.

When I started I wrote a full list of tools I thought I might require and then looked up all the prices to find the total. Once I'd wiped away the tears, I had another look at what I REALLY needed and then upped the quality of some of the tools. Bahco, Monument and Stanley are good makes while Draper is not so good but they are much less expensive.

Accept you'll make a few mistakes and don't worry about having to replace for better items. The older one can be kept in a spare toolbox so if you need to do a job where it might ruin your tool (e.g. using a hammer on an adjustable wrench) use the older one and it doesn't matter if you ruin it - it's done it's job!

I'm sure you know, but remember that unlike a DIYer, you can claim for tools against your taxable profits and get depreciation value reducing your tax liability too.

Get a couple of these though,you'll use them every day

[DLMURL]http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Bahco+Tools&tier2=Wrenches&tier3=Adjustable+Wrenches+-+Black+Finish&cmd=list&tier4=&catRef=Bahco-BAH9031[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Always difficult to know what you'll need when you start and how frequently you'll use the various tools. One of my spanners cost me at least £25 while my AA box of screwdrivers and other things (like magnet, miniature screwdrivers, allen key fittings, miniature socket set, etc) cost me £10 and has proved exceptional value. My drill cost £200 but is still going strong and if I'd bought a £25 model it would have been binned long ago as not being able to do some of the jobs.

When I started I wrote a full list of tools I thought I might require and then looked up all the prices to find the total. Once I'd wiped away the tears, I had another look at what I REALLY needed and then upped the quality of some of the tools. Bahco, Monument and Stanley are good makes while Draper is not so good but they are much less expensive.

Accept you'll make a few mistakes and don't worry about having to replace for better items. The older one can be kept in a spare toolbox so if you need to do a job where it might ruin your tool (e.g. using a hammer on an adjustable wrench) use the older one and it doesn't matter if you ruin it - it's done it's job!

I'm sure you know, but remember that unlike a DIYer, you can claim for tools against your taxable profits and get depreciation value reducing your tax liability too.

that all sounds like good advice thanks. I have heard about claiming for tools against taxable profit but i have no idea how that sort of thing works. When i'm ready is it best to employ an accountant or is it easy to sort out taxes etc?
cheers

Accountant is an excellent idea. They can cost a good chunk of money but I'd rather pay someone and let them benefit and keep them in employment than pay extra tax to the inland revenue.

My guess is over about 10 years you'll be better off using an accountant when compared to the extra taxes you could easily have been asked for by the inspector. I feel that while a tax inspector is meant to be fair, they aren't going to tell you things like claiming on using your house as an office (I charge my house £200 a year at the moment, my mobile is put through my books (but not my home phone), I claim for 1-2 pairs of shoes and 1-2 pairs of jeans each year, etc).

Most of these things I knew about before my accountant got hold of my affairs but that's probably because they'd told me these things over the last 30 years or so.

Get a couple of these though,you'll use them every day

[DLMURL="http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Bahco+Tools&tier2=Wrenches&tier3=Adjustable+Wrenches+-+Black+Finish&cmd=list&tier4=&catRef=Bahco-BAH9031"]Bahco BAH9031 - 9031 Adjustable Wrench 8in at PVR Direct.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Buy em from Screwfix, they're £18. Bargain, make sure you buy the exact ones though. They sell some cheaper Bahco's that don't open up as wide.

Last edited by a moderator:
draper supply metabo drills and I got mine at 18 when I worked on a farm, over 30 years back, its a corded drill, has bored out many a 22mm hole and is still going strong. Draper send out new carbons last time I asked free of charge, any spanners Ive snapped replaced in the post the next day. They may not cost as much but their after sales is second to none, and as for metabo drills, Ive not had a better one yet and Ive gone through some 10 other drills in the last 8 years and they werent all cheap as chips, more like £200 plus each! when they fail out comes the old metabo in reserve until I get a new one again.

Buy em from Screwfix, they're £18. Bargain, make sure you buy the exact ones though. They sell some cheaper Bahco's that don't open up as wide.

I was going to the put the Screwfix link on here Danny,but for some reason they don't work:confused:

should be ready to start buying some kit next week so taken all the comments on board cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

V
Willing to accept £40 + £6 for postage. £46 Total.
Replies
Views
vaughan
V
Back