Is this safe or can gas back-up? | Gas Engineers Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this safe or can gas back-up? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at Plumbers Forums

Hi,
A while ago , we has an odd-job guy fit a new downstairs loo. He's attached the washing machine and basin waste to the top of the toilet waste, see photo. We have a septic tank and sewage smell coming up when we flush. I've assumed this is because the seal where the waste enters the ground needs redoing, but is it because he's put the waste pipe where it is? There seems to be no way of stopping the gases coming back? The pipe goes to the washing machine first, then basin,
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230201_101213.jpg
    20230201_101213.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230201_101224.jpg
    20230201_101224.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 39
There's a bottle trap under the basin but nothing behind the washing machine
There needs to be a deep seal trap to cover both. The soil pipe at the rear of the WC will be connected directly to the tank. If there is no seal, you will get gases/odours in the house.
Does the basin trap siphon out when the WC is flushed or the washing machine empties?

There needs to be a deep seal trap to cover both. The soil pipe at the rear of the WC will be connected directly to the tank. If there is no seal, you will get gases/odours in the house.
Does the basin trap siphon out when the WC is flushed or the washing machine empties?
I don't know how I'd be able to tell if the basin trap is siphoning out?

I think it might have today, which is why I posted. But it's hard to tell as the smell gets so bad in there at times. It's a tiny room.
You should really get a qualified plumber to take a look and sort the problems out for you. Sewer gas, which is what you can smell, is not good for you and at high levels is downright dangerous.

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
You need a mcalpine V33WM, the site won't let...
Replies
Views
Morning All. We have a gas safe inspection...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Could you post a picture of the shower trap...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Your trap might be leaking, if that's the case...
Replies
Views
It would cost quite a bit to move the...
Replies
Views
Back