Is this sound advice? | Central Heating Forum | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Is this sound advice? in the Central Heating Forum area at Plumbers Forums

T

tintin

Hi all,

I have a oil fired boiler that has one pump which feeds the radiators and the hot water cylinder on the same loop. The plumber who renewed the system about 10 years ago fitted the new cylinder and placed a manual valve on the intake pipe. He adviced that at the start of winter to close the valve half way to divert more flow to the radiators and therfore heat the house better.

Now at that time of year again and I have half closed the valve, and the showers are a bit cooler as a result. This has me questioning this wisdom. There is an extention with a radiator that always struggles to get flow and tends to heat up as the other trvs close. So maybe he thought it would divert flow to here?

Should I simply leave this valve open all year round?

I’m a little confused, you have a cylinder, but now showers are cooler? What’s the rest of the hot water delivery like?
The water is cooler as the hot water from the boiler is being diverted round the radiators and away from the hot water cylinder when I throttle the manual valve on the tank.

Best to update to this century and get some port valves installed

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Tony How did you get on with your diverter...
Replies
Views
1/4 turn black knob on both. open bleed screw...
Replies
Views
I would set the internal bypass to its max...
Replies
Views
Excellent thank you for taking the time to...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
D
Ah it's all sealed and can't get in to see the...
Replies
Views
Back