Isolating CH to upper floor | Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board | Plumbers Forums
  • Welcome to PlumbersTalk.net

Welcome to Plumbers' Talk | The new domain for UKPF / Plumbers Forums. Login with your existing details they should all work fine. Please checkout the PT Updates Forum

Welcome to the forum. Although you can post in any forum, the USA forum is here in case of local regs or laws

American Visitor?

Hey friend, we're detecting that you're an American visitor and want to thank you for coming to PlumbersTalk.net - Here is a link to the American Plumbing Forum. Though if you post in any other forum from your computer / phone it'll be marked with a little american flag so that other users can help from your neck of the woods. We hope this helps. And thanks once again.

Discuss Isolating CH to upper floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at Plumbers Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I often find myself needing to periodically 'shut-off' all flow to radiators on the top floor of my house during the daytime (to save money when lodgers are out) but I will often want the CH still flowing on the lower and middle floors. It is a real pain to constantly turn off-and-on the top-floor radiators so I thought some sort of isolating device in the pipe(s) leading to the to top floor would do the trick. The system is open-vented, and the boiler, pump, HW cylinder and controls are on the middle-floor.

What is the best type of isolating valve to use, bearing in mind the flow could be turned on-and-off once daily? I am thinking a wheel-operated gate valve or 'large-lever'-type ball-valve would be best, but you experts out there may have better suggestions.

Also, do I need to insert a valve in the flow and return pipes to the upper floor, or would one in the flow pipe be sufficient? (on the basis that if water cannot flow, it cannot return!)

Many thanks,
Alan

you can buy a trv thats on a timer. it will keep the heating off unless they click a button which will turn it on for one hour

saw them at a recent trade show

That don't sound very fair to your tenants

The tennants don't suffer at all! The heating comes on for them when they get up in the morning, and it is on when they are home in the evening. What I want to do is switch it off to the top-floor during the daytime when they are out but keep the CH on for people in during the day on the bottom floor. It's a perfectly reasonable way to keep the bills down!

Alan

you can buy a trv thats on a timer. it will keep the heating off unless they click a button which will turn it on for one hour

saw them at a recent trade show

Thanks fuzzy - never come across them before. I think it would be too over-the-top though to fit those to 6 rads and expect the lodgers to constantly be pressing buttons - much better if I could just switch on/off flow to the entire top-floor in one go.

Regards,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar plumbing topics

I should have said "S-plan plus", of course!
Replies
Views
Everything working fine on PP mode - thanks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
After some consideration 15mm plastic with...
Replies
Views
Back